KiCad Crashes when building zone fills

Hello All,
I have noticed that Kicad will crash with a Segmentation fault (core dumped) error when building zone fills (B on the keyboard). I have tried clearing all zones (Ctrl-B) before building fills again. That fails too.

Application: KiCad

Version: 6.0.5-a6ca702e91~116~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.0.4
	libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.4.0-120-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, xubuntu, x11

Build Info:
	Date: May  4 2022 07:55:51
	wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.71.0
	OCC: 7.5.2
	Curl: 7.83.0
	ngspice: 36
	Compiler: GCC 9.4.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Can you share that project?
Crashes like this get a very high priority on gitlab, and being able to trigger such a crash is 80% of the puzzle of fixing it.

Also, KiCad V6.0.6 was released on 2022-06-19 and that’s got a bunch of bug fixes and it’s quite possible the bug that causes your crashes is already fixed, so start with an upgrade. (You can also read through the bug fix list).

I had a look at the release notes, and about 7 different crashes have been fixed but yours does not seem to be among them. Nonetheless, make a backup (to have something that can trigger the crash) and update first and then try the newer version.

1 Like

This is not a personal project, and am not sure if the owner would want it public.

Is there anything I can do to print out logs and share it instead? (strace, etc)

It is quite reproducible over the last two days. Sometimes I get lucky when deleting all fills (Ctrl-B) and then following up with fills.

It can be PM’d to a developer which isn’t exactly public. CTL B is a very common function so if you are the only having the issue it might be some edge case kinda thing. @Seth_h or @craftyjon might be able to give more guidance. Do you have the ability to test on another platform?

But, as @paulvdh suggested. Upgrade to see if it is fixed already. Let us know what happens.

I’ll test it on other computers (same ubuntu os) and let you know.

This issue has been resolved in 6.0.7 released today.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.