KiCad-cli exporting to dxf w/ actual hole diameters

When exporting a *.kicad_pcb file to dxf with KiCad-cli, is there a way to export the holes w/ actual diameter? Just outputting the F.Cu or B.Cu copper layer has a small circle where the hole will go, but it is not the actual hole diameter. There doesn’t seem to be a way of exporting the pads.
KiCad-cli command: kicad-cli pcb export dxf -l F.Cu -o PCBf.dxf “MyPCB.kicad_pcb”
Doc “PCB DXF export”: KiCad Command-Line Interface | 7.0 | English | Documentation | KiCad

What is the intention? Why do you want a DXF with the actual hole size?

I need a few of the traces to handle high current. For the prototype, I am planning on laser-cutting copper sheet and soldering them over the existing traces. I can change the hole size manually, but every time I make a change, I have to do it over again. If it is easy to export the hole size over the dxf, it would help.

Making bus bars from copper with a laser cutter is an interesting solution. That sure needs a hefty laser cutter.

The KiCad part is simple though. Just set the Drill marks to Actual Size for the Plot format: DXF output.

Edit: Oops, I missed the “cli” part.

1 Like

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a CLI option (I may write a bug report, as there should be a CLI option matching all of the GUI options) but in my tests the DXF exports with full-sized holes regardless? It might also be that the hole size option has no effect for DXF even in the GUI, I’m not sure.

EDIT: yes, in my tests 1) the drill size option is ignored for GUI DXF plots and the holes are always actual size, and 2) CLI DXF plots also make holes actual size.

1 Like

Thank you for your research and post, Paul. This will work fine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.