Kicad cannot find library

I downloaded a library from GitHub. Unzipped it, and added it to my schematic. However when I try to open the library to get a component,I get an error that says the library cannot be found. The path is correct.

I am at a loss

Not much detail in your post to make it easy to figure out what might be wrong. KiCad version and OS?

In Eeschema, under “Preferences/Manage Symbol Libraries…” did you add your library there?

Compare the path listed inside the error message against the path to where your library lives.

Sorry about that, Kicad version is 6.0.0 running on Ubuntu 18.04.1.

In Eeschema, under “Preferences/Manage Symbol Libraries…” did you add your library there?

Yes. I first use Preferences/Configure Paths and added the new library path. Then used Preferences/Manage Symbols Library to add the library to my schematic.

I had the library on a server (remote file system) that is mapped to my Ubuntu system. In that configuration I get the file not found. So I moved the library to my Ubuntu desktop and got the same error sometimes, but most of the time when I select the library (for example in View/Library Browser) the library is there in the left column, but the right column where the symbols are supposed to be is blank.