KiCad AppImage for Linux

It does not make sense for the development team to move shop just because one guy thinks they can not work with launchpad. The whole bugtracker is over there, the mailing list is over there, … Simply put the devs have their system setup to run on that platform.

But you might be in luck in the long term. Wayne mentioned (on multiple occasions) that kicad development might get moved to a private gitlab (or similar) server hosted at cern. This will however take time. A lot of planing must happen for this move. So for now head over to the mailing list and ask how you can help. Either with packaging or possibly also with the move to a different platform.

1 Like

Well, that’s one way of looking at things. I am pretty sure that there are many “random guys” out there who would contribute a small part (e.g., quickly fix a typo or something like that) but currently the barrier of entry seems too high. Sign up here, sign up there, learn new tools, and get the mail account “spammed”. When all you want to do is, e.g., do a one-line edit.

Cool. Looking forward to it. Hopefully one can log in using GitHub credentials, so that one doesn’t have to sign up for yet another private instance of GitLab.

Back to the original topic, it seems like continuous builds of KiCad AppImages are built in a GitLab pipeline here: https://gitlab.com/kicad-mirror/kicad-source-mirror/pipelines

I have used linux for more than ten years. Until now I never heard of an “image file” that must be made executable to appear on the viewport with input focus. How peculiar!

appear on the viewport with input focus

What?

Hi @probono
I have updated the scripts to work with ubuntu focal and they seem fine
here my fork repo:
github.com/easyw/kicad-appimage/tree/AppImage+standaloneApps
and my AppImage builds…
KiCad-5.1.12.glibc2.29-x86_64.AppImage

KiCad-6.0.0.glibc2.29-x86_64.AppImage

Then I tried to use the built AppImages in centos8 and I get these errors:

[user@localhost ~]$ '/home/user/Downloads/KiCad-5.1.12.glibc2.29-x86_64.AppImage' 
running kicad AppImage
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by ./bin/kicad)
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_KiCad-f3uBjl/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16)
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_KiCad-f3uBjl/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.5)
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_KiCad-f3uBjl/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpixman-1.so.0)
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.30' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_KiCad-f3uBjl/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libselinux.so.1)
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_KiCad-f3uBjl/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsqlite3.so.0)

[user@localhost ~]$ '/home/user/Downloads/KiCad-6.0.0.glibc2.29-x86_64.AppImage' 
running kicad AppImage
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by ./bin/kicad)
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by ./bin/kicad)
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_KiCad-QYaT4k/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython3.8.so.1.0)
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_KiCad-QYaT4k/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16)
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_KiCad-QYaT4k/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.5)
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.30' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_KiCad-QYaT4k/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libselinux.so.1)
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_KiCad-QYaT4k/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpixman-1.so.0)
./bin/kicad: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_KiCad-QYaT4k/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsqlite3.so.0)

In which way could I change my recipes to add those libs?

I got this error when using your AppImage on Manjaro

[minh@ngoc-ms7b89 Downloads]$ ./KiCad-6.0.0.glibc2.29-x86_64.AppImage
running kicad AppImage
./bin/kicad: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_module_open_full