Kicad 8 I cannot change Value to Silkscreen

Sorry in advanced for the simple question, but after searching I couldn’t figure out.
In Kicad7 I could change the layer of the Value field to print it in silkscreen by editing the component.
That is gone in Kicad 8:

How can I set the Value field to print it in the sikscreen?

Thanks!

Also see this thread:

So this makes it a good opportunity for you to verify if this is fixed in V8.0.3-rc1 :slight_smile:

Thank you, @paulvdh!

Do you know how long do rc usually take to be released?

Probably somewhere between 10 minutes and half a year.

There is no fixed schedule and it depends on whether important bugs are found. The issue below for example has a high priority, and I suppose it has to be fixed and included in the final release for V8.0.3

This may be a better indication:

Hi @paulvdh, I tried the V8.0.3, and still not there.
In previous versions, there was a select box that allowed me to select the layer. That seems to be gone.

Kicad 8 and 8.0.3-rc1:

Kicad <= 7

Application: KiCad PCB Editor x64 on x64

Version: 8.0.3-rc1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.4
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.3.0
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.5.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3

Platform: Windows 11 (build 22631), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
OpenGL: Intel, Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics, 4.6.0 - Build 31.0.101.4502

Build Info:
Date: May 26 2024 05:22:16
wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.83.0
OCC: 7.8.1
Curl: 8.5.0-DEV
ngspice: 42
Compiler: Visual C++ 1939 without C++ ABI

Build settings:

[EDIT]

There was a very simple answer in here: Footprint properties no longer allow specifying field Layer at time of creation (#17758) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

ok so heres my work around, its hokey but it works, the only way ive been able to edit and place the silkscreen is edit the footprint locally to the board in the footprint editor with a preview of the board in another window to check alignment. so for now its bandaided.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.