KiCad 8 Altium .PcbLib, where to specify 3D models

My problem is that having KiCad using Altium footprints, the footprint do not have a 3D image associated with each footprint, even though Altium used the same footprint and the 3D image is there.

In KiCad V7, I made a database that Altium and KiCad can share.
I imported all Altium symbols and footprints into native KiCad format, symbol.kicad_sym and footprint.kicad_mod.
To specify the 3D file for each KiCad footprint I had an environment variable to point to the location of the step files, with a model statement in the bottom of each .kicad_mod file.
Altium was happy and KiCad was happy. Now I had to maintain 2 libraries, Altium and KiCad.

Now that KiCad can use Altium symbols and footprints, it’s a beautiful thing. I kept the database the same and the Nicknames the same of the symbol and footprint preferences as in KiCad V7, just pointed KiCad to the Altium symbol and footprint libraries instead of the imported Altium to KiCad files. KiCad was now using the Altium symbols and footprints with the database and everything was great. Except there wasn’t a 3D model now for each footprint.

In the Altium footprints, the 3D files are embedded in the .PcbLib file. In KiCad, Tools - Footprint Editor, File Footprint Properties - 3D Models, there isn’t a 3D model displayed from the Altium footprint. I can add the same line that I had in the KiCad V7 .model statement 3D Models and the 3D model gets displayed, so that works. I then have the option to save the footprint.
Where does it get saved?
1. Does it modify the original .PcbLib file? That doesn’t seem right
2. To do this, does the Altium libraries have to be converted to native KiCad .kicad_mod format?
3. Can I have to add another column into the database to tell KiCad where the 3D model is?
I hope I’ve explained my question enough that it is understandable.
Regards and Thank You,
Nasa

Once you add the footprint to a layout, it is converted to the KiCad format. Any changes then are saved in the board, not the original footprint library. You cannot save a modified Altium library. If you convert the Altium Library to KiCad format, you can save changes