Kicad 8.0 ubuntu 22.04 plugins issue

Hi all, I installed the latest release 8.0 on Unbutu 22.04 . Plugins are not showing in the PCB editor. When I try the scipt Python console I get this

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/usr/share/kicad/scripting/kicad_pyshell/init.py”, line 23, in
import pcbnew
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘pcbnew’

I tried to uninstall every thing with apt purge , update and upgrade and reinstall. Nothing change.

1 Like

try to see if the Scripting console is working ok from here:

No it doesn’t work from this same msg.

1 Like

it happened to me too, an ‘apt update’ and ‘apt upgrade’ solved in my case.
if you feel adventurous you can try to do that.

I already tried the update and upgrade. I tried to uninstall, update upgrade and install. Nothing change, same issue.

1 Like

It’s fixed for for 8.0.1.

Debian being a special snowflake when it comes to paths and python deprecating distconfig and replacing it with a large mess of indecision.

2 Likes

Similar problem observed . i using ubuntu , installed 8.0 but not able to open plugins . not able to open python shell.

update: i tried with flat pack it worked nicely , even shell and plugins,
but when i open shell it show 3.11 python version , which is i am in confusion is it shipped with kicad itself? because as i knwo my system python 3.10

update: i copied pcbnew.py to locaiton : /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages , and updated wxWidgets using pip. it started working , file pcbnew.py id from flatpack installation under /var/ : my OS is Ubuntu 22LTS

i tried uploading file here, but error : new user not able to upload file. But i am waiting updating from official kicad release thanks

How do we get 8.0.1? If not available yet, what is the workaround?

edit: I have also tested flatpak and that is working so I will stick to that for now.

1 Like

We don’t have 8.0.1 yet. Testing contains daily builds of the V8.0 fork, that will eventually become 8.0.1

1 Like

I can also confirm that the scripting (and plugins) do work in the 8.0.0 flatpak, and it can be installed in tandem, so you can only open that version to run the scripts, if desired. You can also continue to use the version 8.0.0 in the package manager, and possibly remove the flatpak version later when 8.0.1 is released.

$ cat /etc/os-release 
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS"
sudo apt install flatpak
flatpak install --from https://flathub.org/repo/appstream/org.kicad.KiCad.flatpakref
flatpak run org.kicad.KiCad