Application: KiCad Symbol Editor x64 on x64

Version: 8.0.0, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.4
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.3.0
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.5.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Feb 23 2024 02:24:15
wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.83.0
OCC: 7.7.1
Curl: 8.5.0-DEV
ngspice: 42
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:

Не знаю стоит ли писать на данном форуме по-русски, поэтому попробую описать проблему по-английски (Google Translate).

The interface language has been specially switched to English.

When trying to assign a footprint for a symbol, in the specified zone the mouse cursor does not select the footprint located there.
At the same time, if you scroll the list of footprints down (or up), the inactivity zone remains in its place.
The gray background inside the red rectangle appeared randomly after I moved the window off the screen and then back. This effect can sometimes be repeated. The rest of the time the window looks absolutely normal.

I note that if you select a footprint using the keyboard, then everything happens normally - there are no skipping lines. The problem only occurs when using a mouse.

If necessary, I can record a video.

1 Like

This was fixed some hours ago.
The current testing version should already incorporate the fix. (I have not tested yet).

1 Like

This was fixed 4 days ago actually.

2 Likes

Did not know. Thank you!

I’m aware of two more problems. The first problem is observed both in KiCAD version 8, as well as in version 7. This problem is observed in the Footprint Editor when duplicating a footprint. The second problem is related to changing the interface language through the KiCAD launcher while KiCAD applications are open. Should I describe these problems here or open a new topic?

It’s best to report issues on GitLab https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues

You can use Help > Report Bug so the version info is filled automatically:

Unfortunately, I cannot write a Bug Report - I am from Russia and this option is not available to me. Sorry.

Do you mean you can’t register on GitLab? You should be able to login via GitHub, Google, etc:

Screenshot_2024-02-29_22-25-36

1 Like

Things being what they are, I’d consider just accepting the posters reply since they seem to be pretty specific here.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I cannot write a Bug Report

If gitlab doesn’t works for you, report it here. I have already opened gitlab issues for other users too.

3 Likes

I can log in, but I can’t get past step 2 where I need to enter my country and phone number. And without this he won’t let you go further.

I’ll start with something simple.

Launch KiCAD Launcher. Then we launch some KiCAD application (for example, we launched Schematic Editor) and minimize it.
If we now change the interface language through KiCAD Launcher (changed it to English), and then restore the window (in my case, Schematic Editor), we will get a broken interface.
If you restart the application (in my case Schematic Editor) the interface will be fine.

The described effect does not appear if you change the interface language when the application is not minimized.

It doesn’t work for me every time, but it still works quite often.

This is what a broken interface looks like:

I ran into a problem - I can’t attach more than 1 media resource. It is not comfortable. Is it possible to do something about this?

Hi! And where is 3d view of footprint with chooser? In my opinion, it used to be possible with Alt-3…

I’ll try to describe the second problem discovered.

This issue was discovered in Footprint Editor.

This problem does not appear in the Schematic Editor.

The essence of the problem:

If you duplicate a footprint in any footprint library, the library name and the new duplicated symbol will not be highlighted in bold. Also, the new duplicated footprint will not be marked with the ‘*’ symbol.

It was also noticed that if immediately after creating a footprint using the duplication method, you begin to edit its fields (namely, make changes to several fields at once, including changing the 3D model) and even add or change graphics - visualization of the changes will affect only the library name itself, and the footprint name will not be in bold and not be marked with the ‘*’ symbol.
At the same time, the selected footprint marker (outline) will be removed from the footprint name. Those. It turns out that in the list of footprints we do not have a single footprint selected, and the field for editing the graphics of the footprint will contain the graphics of the footprint that was edited before.
Also, if you now hover your mouse over this created and edited footprint, only a dark background will be visible in the pop-up window.

I would like to note that there is no such problem with the symbol editor.

I also want to note that this problem is also observed in the latest version of KiCAD 7.

This is what the program window looks like after duplicating the footprint and changing some of the graphics:

In the picture I have indicated the changes I made in one editing session.

If necessary, I can make a video and show you exactly how it happened.

But doesn’t this work now? (Разве это сейчас не работает?)

first problem (broken interface): looks like issue toolbars clipped to very narrow width after showing desktop on MSW and then returning to KiCad (#14581) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

second problem: I will look into this. If I can reproduce, I will move it to gitlab.
(my workaround to prevent such problems after creating/copying a item: doubleclick a different item, only then doubleclick on the new created/pasted item.)

I ran into a problem - I can’t attach more than 1 media resource. It is not comfortable. Is it possible to do something about this?

Yes. And this “something” must be done by you. Read this FAQ-article: New Member Information
If you follow the instructions you can promote yourself from “new user” to “basic user” level. With that promotion you gain access to:

• post multiple pictures in one answer
  • attach complete kicad projects (zipped project archive) - very useful for reproducing issues
  • and many more things you have always dreamed of
1 Like

doubleclick a different item, only then doubleclick on the new created/pasted item.)

I knew about this decision, but did not write.

Yes. And this “something” must be done by you. Read this FAQ-article: New Member Information

Thanks for the advice.

Hm… No, It doesn’t work for me. Linux Mint, Kicad 8.0.0-8.0.0-1~ubuntu22.04.1, release build.

3d view of footprint with chooser

The footprint chooser has never shown a 3D view. You confuse it with the footprint library browser.

Read this discussion:

There is already a gitlab issue open regarding this topic:
edit: There is already a fixed gitlab issue regarding this topic: