KiCad 8.0 crashes when opening PCB or SCH from KiCad Project file

What I have tried:

• initially i was on v7, and upgraded to v8
  • clean reinstall of v8, including deletion of AppData files
  • Windows Update
  • Graphic Drivers were up to date
  • Removing Python from path before reinstalling

Do you have any recommendations? Is there any extra info needed? Thanks

Please post your full KiCad version information . . . you can copy it from Help > About KiCad > Copy Version Info

Here it is:

Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: 8.0.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.4
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.3.0
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.5.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3

Platform: Windows 11 (build 22631), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Mar 15 2024 01:52:47
wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.83.0
OCC: 7.7.1
Curl: 8.5.0-DEV
ngspice: 42
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:

The version information looks good, and there is no issue known which generally produces a crash at loading a schematic/pcb file.

• Yes it happened with all of them
  • I tried the one attached, but still crashing
  • Same for demo projects
  • Yes, I tried it, still crashes

So if all projects (schematic+board files) are crashing I think it depends on your computer system / windows installation.
Could you change the global Preferences setting prior to opening the schematic/pcb files:

• common section: aliasing completely off
  • schematic/pcb editor → display section: use fallback graphics
  • schematic editor: default font == kicad font
  • Data collection: enable data collection and set (reset) a unique Sentry ID
  • after changing these settings close kicad (this saves the settings), then restart and try to open a project/schematic/board again.

Do you work from a network drive? Do you have installed kicad on a non-standard path?

If you have enabled the data collection provoke 1…2…3 crashes, then you could open a gitlab bugreport (from main project manager-_>Help–>Report bug) and provide your Sentry ID in this bugreport. If the crash was catched by the data collection engine then some information should be collected for the developers.

1 Like

Okay with fallback graphics it works! Thanks a lot!

Then this should be surely be an issue of my graphics drivers. I’m not sure what could it be since there are no updates and I have not made any recent changes that could provoke this behavior. Thanks again!

The 3D viewer does not work though still.

I suggest you try viewing step files with “CAD Assistant” by Open Cascade. It is a free utility that does nothing but view step files. It will prove or disprove you computer & graphics is capable as it uses NO kicad files.

1 Like