KiCad 7 - Where did the 3d models go?

Recently I updated to KiCad 7 and now I cannot browse to the 3d models folder outside of KiCad.

From inside KiCad, I can click “Configure Paths” and it gives me a dialog which says the location of 3d models is “/app/extensions/Library/3dmodels/”.

Screenshot from 2023-04-28 16-24-10

Also from inside KiCad, I can click the folder icon and browse the 3dmodels folder location through KiCad.

However, when I right click to “Open With File Manager” nothing happens. (Can’t upload a pic because I’m a new user)

Outside of KiCad the path “/app/extensions/Library/3dmodels/” does not exist. Further, when I scan my hard drive for any of the files in the 3dmodels folder no results appear.

For me, this is a problem because I import models of populated PCB designs into FreeCAD, and currently it only imports the models I made for the PCB.

That said, please don’t suggest workarounds like downloading the 3d source folders and remapping my models to them, or other software I could use for importing from KiCad into FreeCAD.

I am not just posting this question for myself but for others who may need this information to satisfy their use case.

I’m using ClearLinux, which is a flatpak system.

Thank you

Does ClearLinux provide the 3D models package within the flatpak or a a side download, or are you expected to download them yourself and place them somewhere else?

Flatpak runs in a sandbox so if you are accessing external locations that were not permitted by the flatpak build, usually just /home and below, you have to adjust the flatpak’s permissions. This is a flatpak configuration issue.

The models came with the download, I did not have to download any models prior to using KiCad.

Ok maybe the volunteer flatpak packager can advise.

BTW the /app path only appears inside the app and is not visible in the host due to the way flatpak sandboxes work.

Thank you for your help retiredfeline, I can accept the reality of flatpaks not being searchable.

I’ve been tangling with flatpaks recently. The actual parh is something like /var/lib/flatpak/<app>/… but that’s off the top of my head.

Edit: I just checked. For a flatpak installed at the system level, the top directory is:

/var/lib/flatpak/app/<app>/current/active/files/

For a flatpak installed only for yourself, the top directory is:

~/.local/share/flatpak/app/<app>/current/active/files/

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.