KiCad 7, Attempt to Finish Selection (Shift+F)

I have been trying KiCad 7 to see if it is a good time to upgrade.

I was thinking that only selected items would be routed between, but other nets are connected which is not so useful (see picture).

Application: KiCad PCB Editor x64 on x64

Version: 7.0.5, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.2
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 6.0.0
FontConfig 2.14.1
libcurl/7.88.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.13

Platform: Windows 11 (build 22621), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: May 27 2023 02:48:13
wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.81.0
OCC: 7.6.3
Curl: 7.88.1-DEV
ngspice: 40
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Well, it did make an attempt :rofl:

I think you are overtaxing Kicad’s brain. :slightly_smiling_face:

Kicad does not have an autorouter.

The F key will attempt to finish placing a track to the next pad attached to the ratline.

The Shift+F will attempt to place tracks between pads seemingly in the order the pads are selected. This key works best if one net at a time is selected. Its purpose seems to be more as an extension of the F key.

Hmm… OK Thanks :slight_smile:

In the KiCad 7 blog, it does give the impression this is routing ‘just’ between two selected connectors. This would seem to be a typical use-case in fact.

How about adding a similar feature that only routes between selected components? It would be intended for direct ‘line of sight’ routing.

To determine whether an easy route exists, evaluate if anything lies across a straight line between the two nodes currently being tested. If ‘yes’, abandon that particular connection.

The path never ‘curves back’ on itself. It would especially suit the example above, joining connectors.

Sure, that would be a valid feature request, but it’s not really necessary. I think the current behaviour makes sense, essentially KiCad tries to route a wire starting at each of the selected pads to the nearest target. If you know how that works, you could’ve just selected the left connector, hit Shift+F, select the right connector, hit Shift+F and probably have the desired result without much extra effort.

If it helps, think about this feature as finishing a route starting from a selected pad, and not as bridging two selected pads. That’s why its called “Attempt Finish”.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update Jonathan

I have tried your suggestion, and it works. I did not really ‘get’ this from the documentation I found though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.