KiCad 7 add 3D Model to element PERMANENTLY

Ok. So i know how to import element and add footprint to this element.
I also know how to add 3d model(in pcb window) and move it to fit pads.

My question is:
How to add 3d model to element(any) permanently so i can just put element in schematic and dont worry about moving element at good position? Is it even possible?

Im trying to do that like 5 hours now. Please help!!!.

If you want to permanently attach a 3D-model (or any other custom attribute/field-value) to a footprint you have to do that in the library.

note: for this you should not modify the original libraries, instead use your own user-libraries. Maybe you need to copy the footprint in question first to your own libraries.

I only want to do that on new items i want to add.
I add new item in sections where they should be to global list.
Can u please tell me step by step guide?

Hello @rafa_rafa

Your post is a little confusing.
In Kicad there are “symbols and wires” in the schematic, “footprints and tracks” in the PCB and “images” in the 3D.
The word “items” is not used.

Also, you mention global list. Is this list the Kicad Libraries, or is it Personal Libraries?

If you open the Footprint in the Footprint Editor you can position the 3D model using the Footprint properties and then save the Footprint . . . then when you use that Footprint in your PCB it will have the 3D model in the correct position.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.