KiCad 7 3D footprints are all grey

I updated to KiCad 7 and now my 3D footprints only show up as grey, when I open the same file in KiCad 6 they are still in colour.
This is only happening with my footprints I have made and I am using the 3D models from https://grabcad.com/vasily.kashirin-1/models?page=1
I am using the .step models

You can do this by following these steps:

1. Open the footprint editor in KiCad 7 and select the footprint with the grey 3D model.
  2. In the 3D viewer, right-click on the 3D model and select “Edit 3D shape” from the context menu.
  3. In the “Edit 3D Shape” dialog, select the “Appearance” tab.
  4. Check if the “Color” option is set to “Use model color”. If it is not, select “Use model color” and click “Apply”.
  5. If the “Color” option is already set to “Use model color”, try selecting a different option such as “Solid” or “Wireframe” and then switch back to “Use model color”. This can sometimes help refresh the appearance of the model.
  6. Click “OK” to close the dialog and save the changes.

If this does not work, you can also try updating the materials and textures for the 3D model in an external CAD software and then importing the updated model into KiCad 7. Alternatively, you can try using a different 3D model from the grabcad website or another source that is known to work well with KiCad 7.

Fixed by this commit I think

Unfortunately it just missed the first 7.0.0+ Testing today, so maybe in tomorrow

3 Likes

This is the reason I’m going to wait a few weeks before I’ll update to v7 - most obvious and annoying bugs should be fixed by then.
I just love the Open source community :slight_smile:

The difference with opensource, is that the bugfix is free

1 Like

How do you do step 2? From this window:

Jacob

Dont bother trying those instructions because they are false. The issue with colors is in the code itself which actually results in duplicated faces and thus the grey ones appear on top.

It’s fixed for 7.0.1 and anyone using Windows can actually get the fix already from the testing builds for 7.0

https://downloads.kicad.org/kicad/windows/explore/7.0-testing

2 Likes

Looking at the build ID, I think the commit just missed the last Testing, hopefully in today

Woops, anyway the next testing build will have another color fix as well

Looks like todays build failed unfortunately

As long as it is a known problem and a fix is on the way I’m happy.
I will wait for the next stable updated release and get the fix.
Thanks everyone.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.