KiCad 7.0.7 crashes when loading database library (was working in 7.0.6)

Hello fellow Kicad users,

Just updated from 7.0.6 and I tried opening a known working project that uses my database library. Kicad 7.0.7 just crashes silently whenever I use the “Add component” command and the libraries are loaded for the first time. The problem must be in my database library because the panel successfully loads when I deactivate that library.

Also, when opening a specific project, Kicad complains that it is already opened, even after restarting the PC. This problems is unrelated, but I will also appreciate some help figuring out what is happening.

It would be cool if someone could brief me on how to gather a crash report or similar info, so that I can open an issue in gitlab. As commented, right now it just fails silently without anything to report.

Kind regards,
Enrique

Application: KiCad x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.7-7.0.7~ubuntu22.04.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.1
FreeType 2.11.1
HarfBuzz 6.0.0
FontConfig 2.13.1
libcurl/7.81.0 OpenSSL/3.0.2 zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.4.8 libidn2/2.3.2 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.2) libssh/0.9.6/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3 OpenLDAP/2.5.16

Platform: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, pop, x11

Build Info:
Date: Aug 13 2023 23:14:49
wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.74.0
OCC: 7.5.2
Curl: 7.88.1
ngspice: 38
Compiler: GCC 11.4.0 with C++ ABI 1016

Build settings:
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Seeing that you are on ubuntu probably the most useful thing you can do is install the debug symbols package for kicad (if I remember correctly it is called kicad-dbg), run kicad under debugger gdb, trigger the crash, get the backtrace and attach it to a bug report filed on gitlab.

If you are unfamiliar with how to use gdb gdb tutorial has a good example, you will only need run and backtrace commands.

Next best thing if you can’t provide a backtrace is to just file a bug report and describe exact steps you take for a crash as well as exact configuration for your database library. One of the devs will then guide you on how to obtain more information if needed.

1 Like

Probably due to the lock file left behind on abnormal exit. Search for other threads about this.

1 Like

If you can open a bug report including your database library, I can investigate. Mark it a confidential issue if you do not want your library to be public. Gathering a crash report (backtrace) can be done as qu1ck said, but you don’t have to do it before opening a bug report.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for the nice responses.

I was able to run dbg and get the backtrace info. I opened an issue in gitlab:

6 Likes

Thank you for contributing to make KiCad better for everyone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.