KiCad 6 slow/unusable

For router issues such as this, we strongly prefer confidential issues that have the project included over public issues without the project.

Hello,
I’m sorry, but I preferred to keep to issue marked as confidential, like suggested by @craftyjon and @eelik , because, as I previously said, the design is for a commercial project.

Just to allow other people on this forum to see what I see, find below the video describing the strange behaviour of the interactive router:

Kicad6_autorouterStrangeness_WalkAroundMode

(For your information, I’m one of the people who can see the confidential issues.)

You have two problems in one issue report which makes it a bit difficult to handle. This connection finding problem is different than the sluggishness you told about. You should show or add exact steps to reproduce the situation where KiCad gets “sluggish” or slow.

Hello,
uhmm…I see what you mean, but the two problems often happens simultaneously. Find below another video describing the issue better than I can with words:

Kicad6_Sluggishness_SecondVideo

You can notice how the crosshairs moves stuttering here and there after a while and then, finally, gets completely freezed.

I can’t find a better word other than “sluggish” for this kind of interactive router behaviour.

I agree that, from a developer point of view, being a firmware developer myself, separating the issues would simplificate the bug finding and, we hope, their correction…but it’s really difficult to capture those “two issues” in an “isolate manner” during a video recording. Moreover, for the sake of truth, basing on your reasoning, I would hazard that we have 3 issues, not 2; in fact, if you watch again the first of the videos I sent, you can see that, at the start of the video, more precisely during the second of the track connection tentatives, the track is allowed to cross all the T1 footprint’s pads: that’s a clear electrical rule violation. Hence the issues are now 3.

Let me know if and how how I can help better, please!

Thanks!

1 Like

I have experienced the same issue for a while, tbh I just filed it as a deficiency of the router and have my mental workarounds so I hardly notice it anymore.

What helps I think is dropped a lot of fixed points (left click) when routing tracks that zig-zag.

I’ve got the same issue, everything works fine until the router has to deal with either pushing or walking around a track. The only way I can get it to work is by disabling collision (highlight collisions). Since I’m working on a very simple board, it’s ok but I can’t imagine this being an option for a complex board.

I’ve tried resetting the settings as listed above without success. Currently on version 6.0.7. I also have version 5.0.1 installed, not sure if that could cause an issue. That version was itself installed over an old 4.x.

Machine specs are: Windows 10 x64, Intel i6600, 16GB DDR4, Nvidia GTX 1070, Kicad installed to main C SSD.

I’d attach the project files but I can’t since I just created my account to comment on this issue.

Hi @qcombus ,

You’ve already read 19 minutes. If you read a few more different threads, you should then be upgraded to Basic and so be able to post files.

EDIT: just checked the requirements. You need to read at least 5 topics, 30 posts, with an all up total of at least 10 minutes reading time.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t see the requirements before posting. Since I was just “lurking” before it seems the browsing time wasn’t counted.

I’ve got the notification that I’ve moved to “Basic” so I’ll update the project files:
lcd_ribbon_cable.zip (150.8 KB)

Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

It shouldn’t on Windows by design

1 Like

I am familiar with fig trees (and we have a few) but not so much with config trees.

1 Like

Hello all, I currently have the same problem, but if I set the interactive router to anything other than “Walk Around” the problem goes away. I dont actually like walk around mode, what would be much better for me is a “Stop at obstacles” mode, just a thought, so it works like the “Highlight collisons” mode but rather than allowing you to go through the obstacle it just hugs the obstacle without trying to autocomplete the track.

1 Like

Hi,
still an issue with 6.0.7 unfortunately. Makes working with Kicad significantly worse than previously. Even simple track modifications are very slow. I encounter it a lot with the D key as I use that a lot.

I feel as if there were an iterative loop that does not check its “cancellation token/user event” frequently/deep enough.

I feel that if the UI weren’t frozen during the computation (the Cross moving) then that would lead to better UX.

I’m on Core i5 12600K

Working in Shove mode (even when using D) works much better. I can then simply stop moving when I see a collision, emulating Walkaround using Shove in my head. Walkaround seems to freeze reliably when presented with a walk-around problem.

The walkaround bug will be fixed in the new minor release. I’m also thinking about backgrounding all P&S calculations, but not sure if this will reach the v7 milestone due to limited amount of time…

T.

4 Likes

Thank you @twl
Just realized that a similar freezing behaviour can be seen in Shove when encountering an immovable object - board edge.

Yes, and the problem got more severe with the introduction of arcs - when the router gets stuck by an obstacle containing arcs, it has to process a ton of tiny line segments due to our current arc approximation. We’ll add some heuristic to make it less ‘choppy’.

2 Likes

Arcs ie rounded tracks are bound to cause a performance hit and it is going to have to be emphasised that they should be used as a cosmetic step at the close of the layout. Maybe even to the point that the pre-arc step is clearly kept as a working copy for future board changes

Keep in mind that the problem is observed without interacting with any rounded objects.

There are rounded board corners (6) that are nowhere near the motif that interacts with the track being routed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.