Kicad 6 produce fabrication files for JLCPCB

I am following that guide from JLCPCB.com to generate proper fabrication files.

The first question is propably horribly off-topic, but I must ask. I have a pick and place .csv file. But it does not open well in Excel.

All the commas seem to be there, but MS Excel is not doing it right. How do I fix this? [Solved - Mod]

Than the BOM itself. If I generate the BOM file… it is just generated… but according to JLCPCB.com. I should get to see this window instead. Must be a kicad 5 thing?

I have that bom2grouped_csv_jlcpcb xsl file downloaded. But as I can’t find the above window. I do not know how to use it.

I also know it has been asked before. But for windows 10, which tools should I use today to simplify all this work. Besides fabrication output files I would also like to automate PDF assembly for board and schematic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bas

EDIT:
excel part is solved. One must use data import from within excel. Pardon me asking.

Hard to say, I’m on Linux so I don’t know what’s missing from your environment. When you run Generate BOM you shoud get a choice of scripts, and if the JLCPCB XSLT script bom2grouped_csb_jlcpcb.xsl isn’t registered you have to download and add it. As you can see it’s supposed to be in your project directory. I think their screenshot was based on v5 so it looks a little different, more compact in v6.

For a more integrated workflow you might want to look at a plugin like this one: GitHub - Bouni/kicad-jlcpcb-tools: Plugin to generate BOM + CPL files for JLCPCB, assigning LCSC part numbers directly from the plugin, query the JLCPCB parts database, lookup datasheets and much more.

I have no experience with this one, for my project I did it the way you tried, folliowing JLCPCB’s instructions.

PS: Remember that Generate BOM is run from the Schematic Editor, from Tools > Generate BOM, not PCB Editor File > Fabrication Outputs. This isn’t entirely clear from JLCPCB’s instructions but when you realise that the LCSC part number field is not passed to the PCB Editor, then you’ll understand why the BOM is generated from the Schematic Editor, even if it seems a bit unintuitive. In future I think tighter integration of the components in the KiCad UI will get rid of this seeming anomaly.

I looked through the JLCPCB pages and on another one of their pages, they promote their own Python plugin which I have no experience with either. Good luck.

you may also have a look at here:

I have installed the Bouni kicad-jlcpcb-tools plugin via the plugin manager. It was both easy and incredibly simple to use.

My BOM and CPL are finally accepted and now I am experiencing the payne of trying to find replacements for out of stock component :sweat_smile:.

Tnx alot!

Regards,

Bas

I have been extensively using the plugin. But my current project crashes everytime when I try to open the JLCPCB plugin.

If I delete all components but the through hole part (which have no part number), the program does not crash and the JLCPCB plugin opens.

As soon as I add a single SMD component (I tried several)
KiCad freezes.

I have not seen this problem in any other smd project.

If I delete the entire board and update it again with ‘fresh’ components. The problem remains.

If it helps anybody, I added the board file. The schematic is divided in 5 sheets

panelController.kicad_pcb (431.1 KB)

Regards,

Bas

It turns out that my computer needs several minutes to load. I do not know why or if it is related to the actual project. I will try the same at my home PC. I am currently having the problem that JLC’s website is being as slow as my PC today…

Regards,

Bas

@retiredfeline, @bask185

I’ve used the bouni tool and found it very good.
I did have a complaint - after selecting/matching a LCSC part to a part (or parts) on my PCB, the tool would jump back to the start of the list, so I’d have to scroll back down to find where I was. Annoying, but not catastrophic.
I was going to submit a comment on the plugin for a bug fix, but got snowed under with another job before I got a chance.
MM

My home pc does not suffer from freezes. Just my work PC. It is related to any component which has a JLCPCB part number.

I’m guessing that the plugin connects to JLC’s servers to get information. That would slow you down if the network speed isn’t great. Some homes actually have better Internet connectivity than offices.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.