Kicad 6.0.7 Manjaro linux strange print dialog

hi, anybody know why Kicad Print Dialog changed for Kicad 6.0.7 ?

The left is the original print dialog I have ever used before for a longtime, and now when I setup a new linux box with Manjaro, and pulled up kicad with version 6.0.7, the EEschema and PCBnew will all invoke a print dialog like the right side, which is actually not usable at all.

This is import for me as, I need to print selected layer and objects to SVG and then using inkscape to export DXF for “SMT Assembly Drawing”

I thought it was some reason with My Manjaro linux, as I first setup my new Box with XFCE version of manjaro, and I then switched to KDE version of Manjaro, and the problem is the same, turns out, this only happen with New Kicad 6.0.7

anyone helps please?

Thanks!

Ok my system (openSUSE Leap) the second dialog doesn’t appear at all, it goes straight to file if that’s what I choose. I suspect on Manjaro, the print to file action has somehow hooked up to the system print dialog. You might want to ask on a Manjaro forum how to avoid this second dialog.

ok, I mean the 1st dialog is what I used before as normal, it will appear when I print any thing from kicad or other app. but this time, when I setup a new box with manjaro it appears the 2nd dialog when I print anything in kicad, but when I use print from any other app, the system is actually using the correct 1st one.

I doubt it’s manjaro xfce problem, but it’s the same situation when I reinstall my box with manjaro-KDE version. yes, maybe you’re right, it may related only to manjaro new system setup.

thanks!

On linux Mint 20.3 this comes out :

Schermata del 2022-08-21 14-09-59

One thing I noticed is that your first print dialog shows Print to File and Print to LPR. On mine it shows Print to File and the names of the printers available. Which makes me think your KiCad is going through a different print script due to some configuration setting somewhere.

Do you have the CUPS subsystem installed? Xfce may have installed some simpler compatibility scripts and switching to KDE may not have pulled CUPS in.

If I press “print” this window comes out :

yes, I want this dialog, this is what I said the correct one

yes, press print in Eeschame 1st popup the dialog like yours, but, then press the bottom-right “Print” button from the popup dialog, it should invoke system printer configuration dialog. what I mean is the system printer config dialog is not correct, it should be like the left image I put on, but, on My new manjaro linux box it’s invoking the 2nd picture like dialog which is totally useless.

It will be some strange setting of Manjaro Linux.
You should ask in the Manjaro forum.

yeah, CUPS is installed, and from Mousepad, cmd print will invoke the correct print-dialog which can config to print to svg or pdf.

I think you’re right, but, I don’t know where to config kicad’s printing script, there’s no such option in Preference

Ok, I tried all Manjaro version with 3 Major DE with minimal and full version, all kicad printing invokes the second dialog which will result in a empty ps file and crashes.

I thinks it’s only related to New Manjaro CD.

thanks for all help!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.