Kicad 5 PCBNew keeps freezing

When did that come out and what was fixed?
I have had a few unrepeatable crashes in Schematic and the Part Library Editor with 5.0.1_3

A week or so ago. The toolchain was updated.

The crashes that I have experienced have also been unrepeatable.

I have the same behaviour with version 5.0.1-4 as often that is almost unusable.
Configuration : Windows 10 entreprise v 1607 - Intel HD 520
Pb : Pcbnew freeze when I move footprint. Solution : force closing & restart the application. Waste of time.

I have try the testing version 5.0-Jenkins. It works without freezing but the 3Dview ( Alt+3) Freeze all the application. Not only PcbNew. This is better to work efficiently but I lost the 3D view feature.

Bertrand

I have a similar issue using the kicad-r11887.4d73cfb8a-x86_64
If I switch the 3D viewer to disable ‘Realistic view’ the pcbnew sw just hangs forever…
and a different error log
debug-error-3d-ogl

EDIT Windows 10 64b

I never had this message… I have no message. It just hang.
Bertrand

@maui It is not intuitive, but clicking the “Cancel” button seems to work well to keep the program running while using Windoze.

I can’t really tell what OS you are using from the screen grab.

@nickoe Sorry, did not see your query.

I’m still using whatever Jenkins build I mentioned earlier.

My internet data limits will reset in 2 days. Do you have a recommendation on the next build to test?

I forgot to mention (if needed) that it is not possible to click any button, so the suggested ‘solution’ is not viable.

1 Like

reported

fixed
3D viewer: Fix hanging when a board is displayed in non realistic mode
:smiley:
that was fast :slight_smile:
2 Likes

If you want to save some bandwidth, you can try this build which is kicad without libs and stuff. It is a smaller download.

http://downloads.kicad.org/windows/testing/patched/kicad-patched-223-5.0.1-47-gf66ccfb64-x86_64.exe

This is the current tip of the 5.0 branch, what will probably become 5.0.2 very soon.

3 Likes

This patch seems to solve all for me. I have applied it on the Jenkins version.
Many Thanks.
Bertrand

@Bertrand, what patch?

Your last post with the build 5.0.1.47
Note that it is a great thing to have small footprint file to upgrade or patch the software

1 Like

I am attempting to download this file at the moment.

@nickoe WOWsers! Eeschema is FLYING on my machine now!

I ran through many of the menu items and everything was flawless!

The Tools and CvPcb ran without issue, and CvPcb was the fastest I’ve ever seen it complete to populate.

I did not dig into the Symbol Editor.

PcbNew ran GREAT also! There seems to be some enhanced ratsnest and push and shove features!

Good news/Bad news… The Save options under Preferences should really be moved to the “File” menu. And, any DRC settings should automatically be pushed and saved to the .pro file, even if just saving the board locally.

BUT WAIT!

This UPDATE feature is TOTALLY AWESOME! It does not seem that any of my libraries, even in the KiCad folder were affected buy the “update”. I was not prepared to test this feature, and was extremely surprised to see the update to KiCad WITHOUT any apparent change to the libraries files on my computer after the install!!!

Thanks again for making this happen.

3 Likes

Great to hear. This is good news. So this seems to be the issue with the old toolchain earlier, at least regarding @Spring’s earlier issues.

About the installer, it is still a work in progress to unify the installer to have a full and a lite installer for all builds.

2 Likes

@nickoe

Doing some machine “clean up tasks” I noticed that my Win 7 install of the patch also seems to have added an entry into the Windoze Program Manager.

So this leads me to a question, “What happens if I Uninstall the “patch”?”

Seems I read that a bit different. It’s not a patch, it’s a patched version (of the complete program).
If you uninstall it, you uninstall a KiCad 5.0.1.

Walter

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.