Kicad 5 - No .gbl output generated for front side

Hi all,

I’m not getting a .gbl file for the front side of the PCB when I plot.

I tried exclusively plotting the front side only and it gives me a .gtl file.

Is it not supposed to be a .gbl file for both sides? The backside gets a .gbl file just fine.

When I open the .gtl file in Flatcam, there is nothing to plot, so I would assume that it is not good for production?

I’m using nightly 5.0.0-rc2 and I get a myproject-F.Cu.gbr for the front side. As usual.

That is really weird…
I don’t see what I’m doing wrong then.
I just did a plot with everything ticked and I still did not get the myproject.F.Cu.gbl
Pedro, the .gbr files are there, but those are not the ones in questing. It is the files for the cupper traces.
The myproject.F.Cu.gtl file contains this:

But shouldn’t it be a .gbl file?

Have you perhaps in the past always selected the “use protel file extension” option?

Hi Rene,

Yes I have.

Did selecting it solve your problem or does it just not work as expected any more?
(If it does no longer work then it might be a good idea to make a bug report about it.)

Side-note: There is no KiCad 5 release (yet). You are using a development build :wink:
I hope you know that this comes with some downsides attached. (Right now the main problems are lacking documentation and not yet stable libraries.) More details see this faq post, mainly section about release candidates/ feature freeze

1 Like

Just unticked that option and now it is generated. Thanks!
I only ticked it because of a video I saw on YT on how to create plot files.
I have had boards produced before with this option ticked during plotting, using v4.
What has changed now in v5?

You never will!

Without Protel
.gbr = Gerber

With protel
.gtl = Gerber TOP Layer
.gbl = Gerber BOTTOM Layer

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that up, Bob!

In the plot menu, from the user point of view, a few more options.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.