Kicad 5 Fresh Install most footprints missing?

So, new computer and I’ve not played with V5 yet, so I got it downloaded and installed. This is a windows machine running Win10. The only change was to tell it to use d: drive to install to, as that’s not the SSD.

Got straight into a schematic, dropped an ATmega, resistor, transistor into it and wired them up.
Next step apply foot prints…hit the CVPCB button. Got a dialog with lots to errors.

"Footprint library path "D:Kicad etc etc.pretty does not exist.

So I hit OK, thinking, OK I don’t want air coils anyway at the moment. But then I went down to select Resistors_SMD and alas no foot print choices come up.

Bringing up the library footprint browser and nup it doesn’t see lots and lots of libraries. Actually only 2 worked.

So I checked the config paths…and its pointing to the right spot… hmmmm.

Google…and I see a comment that says the libraries are very specific on the spelling…checking the folder I see that the footprint browser is looking for Resistors_SMD…and the folder is calld Resistor_SMD. So I rename it to Resistors_SMD and it suddenly sees it.

Into CVPCB and I can now select a resistor footprint from that library.

Thing is, I didn’t copy old libraries, these came with the installer, and they are labelled wrong…hmmmm but then I see that the CVPCB is trying to find Air_Coils_SML_NEOSID, and this library folder doesn’t even exist with a close spelling…neither does a few of them.

So where does CVPCB get the list of libraries from? Its not getting them from the folder…and I don’t want to get fixing the other 200 folders…there must be another way…

Cheers
Colin

I did not really read your long post but most people complaining with anything similar where helped by this:

2 Likes

Many thanks. Still got a few errors after deleting the fp-lib-table file, but enough to fix by hand. This comes about as I have a live version that I run from ext HDD, and of course it still writes to the user folders…
Anyway 90% fixed, and damn I did a search on this.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.