Kicad 5 doesn't recognize OpenGL 3

As Kicad 4.0.7 has an issue in Linux Mint 19, I decided to move onto Kicad 5 through the ppa.

Then, when I was asked about to use hardware acceleration I said “Yes”, but a window poped out “OpenGL 2.1 or higher is required!”. Same happens when in PCB layout I press “F11”.

When I ask my Linux box about the OpenGL version I get this:

$ glxinfo | grep “OpenGL version”
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.106

So I guess I’m running the 3.x release.

Any ideas? Do I need to config something else? Do you guys need more information?

If I attempt to come back to Kicad 4.0.7 unfortunately I will need to come back to Linux Mint 18.3.

You might find something helpful when you use the forum’s search feature and search for that message “OpenGL 2.1 or higher is required”, it gives many hits because other people have the same problem.

Maybe you’re running a 64-bit version of Kicad and have 32-bit nvidia drivers installed. Somebody already reported such an issue.

Tom

It’s not a Kicad issue, but a nvidia drivers one.

Through Synaptic I installed everything that has 390 in it: libnvidia(asterisc)390(asterisc). It seems to be the latest release for nvidia’s drivers, but LM19 installed by the fault the 340 release. I have also the propietary driver enabled. I installed the bumblebee package as well, but I don’t know whether it’s needed.

PD: I cannot use the asterisc symbol, but I guess you’ve got the idea.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.