Kicad 5 arduino footprint and schematic great, smd single inline connector would be better how would I replace what is there with smd connectors?

kicad 5 arduino footprint and schematic great, smd single inline connector would be better how would I replace what is there with smd connectors?
I would like to use smd headers like in the connectors list so the arduino schematic symbol has smd parts to handle it it has a odd pin spacing arduino uno r3.
grid size suggested?
I found mechanical dimensions
I found pin references to hook the schematic symbol to connectors and their dimensions.

Not sure I understand you, but edit the footprint in pcbnew and selecting another type (SMD) should do the trick.
About not losing the placement/position… well, that’s a problem.
Better mark where the center and pin #1 are on some other layer like cmts.user or you might be screwed.

I wish we had a few more uncommitted layers that could be used for “scratch work” like this. I often use at least one layer just to hold sketches of the larger mechanical design - exactly where the enclosure walls and screw pillars are; where the front panel switches, pots, and jacks will be; where other components impose clearance limitations; etc. Sometimes I use a layer to capture the details of a possible component placement, while I rip it up and try another idea. And there is often a call for making a sketch (similar, but not the same as “Fab”) to guide assemblers and test techs.

Then a situation comes along (like @Joan_Sparky just suggested) where you want to record something for future reference, and need a layer to place the information on. I have never truly needed more layers than what was available, but sometimes a layer had to hold temporary information about two unrelated ideas. It would have reduced the possibility for errors if each idea had exclusive use of a layer for this purpose.

Dale

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.