Kicad 5.99 -- differential pair routing, what did I miss

I’m currently testing the 5.99. I wanted to try routing a differential pair, and created signal pair to be routed as diff pair.
However, at the moment I try to escape the pins of my 0.5mm pitch LQFP, the differential pair goes into some DRC violation. Escaping single line does not violate DRC rules.
What could I miss? I don’t want to report a bug where it is possibly some user error/wrong settings which I’d like to verify first. Running on a fresh today’s morning build (as yesterday had some DRC issues which were supposed to be fixed).

Did you defined your differential pair in Board Setup ?

Notice that I add a micrometer to my desired Width and Gap, many time setting the clearance to exactly your Net clearance would not let you route your signals.

1 Like

For 5.99 this settings is in slightly different place: Board setup/Project/Net classes but indeed, here my default DP rules were breaching my LQFP pitch. Thanks for pointing me here. Was looking at Design rules/Constraints but did not find anything there.

1 Like

This seems to be related to the (closed) issue on gitlab.

In short, the issue linked below is about rotated footprints which violate DRC because of rounding issues, and Jeff Young added a hard coded tolerance of 1nm to the DRC, which seemed to fix the DRC violation for rotated footprints and the issue was closed.

To be honest I would need to test again, I noticed the problem some time ago while trying to route a board and since then I am “gladly” giving a micrometer away to avoid problems. (one of those workaround that has become a rule of thumb)

Reading the thread, the fix from Jeff applies only to >5.99.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.