Kicad 5.1.6 Symbol editor Pin number view (Solved)

Hello everyone, my question is simple, how to display, when you add a pin when creating a component, the pin number in the symbol?
In the editor there is nothing that indicates it?
Thank you

Edit symbol properties icon

Then, at the bottom right there are 3 checkboxes. One of them is “show pin number”

Hi, thanks, no way : Are you on 5.1.6 ?

The “visible” checkbox is for whether the pin will be visible in your schematic. Sometimes power pins are “stacked” on top of each other, and set to invisible.

Here with KiCad V5.1.7 it shows the pin number in the preview, I think that is what you mean.

(Just don’t mind the checkbox looking different, it is a function of my Linux Mint Mate 20 desktop.

It’s in Symbol properties (Edit -> Properties in the Symbol Editor), not in Pin properties. It’s for each symbol, not for separate pins.

1 Like

Hello, thanks for answers, here is (from original library) Buzzer example :

The 2 Passive Pins are 1 for the + and 2.
I create my one component, an AC/DC converter with 4 Pins, when I add the Pins as “Bidir” no number appear on the Pin ?!!?
Another example on same new device, if I add a pin no number in drawing :

Is it a Bug ?

In both your pictures (one with pin 1 and one with pin 17) it looks that you have a cursor in Pin number field. This suggests that you probably didn’t finished setting the pin number yet when doing screen - shot.

Hi Piots,
Not sure to understand …
Here I edit a Buzzer :

and here my device :

On the first, the number 1 appears on the pin, not on mine …
I still suspect a BUG!

It isn’t a bug, rather simple PKAC. Something which I fall victim to more than my own liking. :wink:
To expand on eelik’s previous response:

You are looking in the wrong place to turn pin numbers on and off. You want the symbol properties, not the pin properties. Using the same buzzer, here it is as shipped:

Note the setting that I have my pointer over in the screenshot. Turn this off (and then close the properties window) and you get this:

(I re-opened the properties window for the screenshot.)

Pin number (and additionally pin name) visibility is a symbol-wide setting, not an individual pin setting.

As mentioned above, this “Visible” setting in the Pin Properties toggles the ENTIRE PIN being visible.

Thanks SembazuruCDE, not easy to find …
To help some others like me, this is on Symbol Editor,
you select the symbol (or group of symbols) and on top menu bar Edit -> Properties, this open a Symbol Properties, then on Anotations you can choose : Show !!!

Congratulation !
Note: it seems by default when you create a new Symbol, the Pin number & Pin Name are disabled !
Merci beaucoup to all contributors !!!
Vincent.

If I create a new schematic symbol, there is a smaller “Symbol Properties” window, which has checkboxes for showing pin numbers and / or texts, and it was checked by default, as shown below.

Thanks paulvdh, this is correct !

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.