KiCad 2022 Funding Drive

Happy Festivus and End of 2022!

As we skitter down the icy road toward the end of 2022 and the Release of KiCad Version 7, it is wise and good to look back on what we’ve managed to accomplish with your support. There have been feats of strength, an airing of grievances and, indeed, a Festivus miracle!

And we are far from done. There were many, many things that did not make it into KiCad version 7 and we are excited to build them for KiCad version 8 (Aluminum pole, not included).

Funding Drive and Matching Donations

Each year, we run a funding drive to help pay for development, documentation, librarian work and all of the support that goes into building the KiCad software package. Our 2022 drive is running from Dec 1 - Jan 15. This year, we are excited to announce that we have a series of sponsors who are working with us to match (1 for 1) each dollar/euro/yen/yuan/pound that you donate to help support KiCad’s continued success. Friend-of-KiCad PCBWay is will be our next sponsor, matching your donations.

If this year has been financially difficult for you, please do not donate. We’re a community together and we’ve got you until you are back on your feet.

If 2022 worked out well for you, please consider a contribution to KiCad to help us continue to build the best EDA tool available, at any price. Your support is critical to our long-term success and will help us to continue accelerating the pace of KiCad development.

8 Likes

Done.

(And, since that doesn’t satisfy Discourse… Done. Done. Done!)

3 Likes

Done :white_check_mark:
Happy festivus!

BTW, we’re releasing V7 right?

1 Like

Thanks! Our new thank you page isn’t quite finished yet… I’ll update it with our draft until then

But I assume this was intended to show that the 2021 donations had an impact (in this case: release 6.0), or am I wrong?

1 Like

Correct. We’ve been able to really accelerate the development of KiCad over the past two years thanks to donations and other contributions from our community. Releasing v6, and now v7 are both big milestones for the project that wouldn’t be possible without your (plural possessive) support

1 Like

Amy chance the DigiKey banner could be somewhere else? It is slap bang over the version number on the Windows Download page.

1 Like

The copy post only seems to copy the title. Thanks for adding below. :slight_smile:

Hi, I would like to Donate. But need to know if I will get a donation certificate. I would like to spread joy on social media platforms and encourage my colleagues for making donations to this wonderful project.

Hello @dhanishvijjayan

I assume that you are inquiring about the information required for Form 10BD from the Indian gov’t. Please correct me if I am mistaken in that.

You have a few options to donate to KiCad that may comply with your local donation requirements.

1. The first is directly to the KiCad project. This funds any activity that KiCad needs to build (servers, hardware, developer time, art, documentation, etc). We can provide you with a receipt for your donation, which may or may not be tax deductible in your country.
  2. The second is through the Linux Foundation. The Linux Foundation is a 501(c)6 corporation in the United States, which is a not-for-profit organization structured to benefit members of the Linux Foundation (including KiCad). This may or may not be tax deductible, depending on your local requirements.
  3. The third option is to donate through CERN. CERN has many international arms that might provide tax benefits for your contribution. You may inquire about this at donorcare@csf.cern.ch

All three of these options are shown on the KiCad donate popup when clicking the blue “Donate” button on the KiCad website (https://www.kicad.org)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.