Keep out on power layer

I have a four layer board with components on top and bottom with ground and power on the inner two layers. I need to have a keep out with no copper fill for each of the ground and power layers. I have been able to do this for the ground layer, but not for the power layer using the same process I used successfully for the ground layer. I click the β€˜B’ key to redraw the filled zones, and the ground layer has the copper removed in the keep out, but the power layer does not change. Any help would be appreciated.

Keepout zones are only active on the layer you add them. If you need the same zone on more than one layer you need to copy the zone to all layers where you need the keepout area.
Hit crtl+d to duplicate the zone. after that press e to change the layer in the zone properties. (or simply redraw the zone on the layer you need.)

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I don’t think I made myself clear. I have four layers, top and bottom copper, and a ground plane and power plane being layer two and three. I have successfully put the keep out layer individually on the two copper layers as you describe, and the ground plane. Clicking β€˜B’ shows no copper pour on the ground layer, which is good.

If the power plane is active, I can not add a keep out with no pour anywhere on the power plane. Also if I right click the keep out on any of the three good layers>Zone outline>Keep out area>Duplicate zone onto another layer>select power layer with the same properties it still does not add the keep out to the power plane.

It seems to me that the power plane has a property set which prevents a keep out area being added.

Thanks,

1 Like

What kicad version are you using and can you share your pcb_new file?
(or a simplified file that shows the same behavior.)

I got it working, but I do not know why. I just kept repeating the steps I had done before, and now it shows no copper pour on the ground and power layers, which is what I want. It was probably a PEBKADOC error.