Junction Dots Revisited

By “newer convention” you are referring to the 1966 document? There is obviously nothing “new” about any of this. The document you posted makes it quite clear, junction dots are optional. It goes on to show various connections both with and without dots. But nowhere does it say never use dots!

The only thing to have changed over the decades in this regard is that once upon a time crossing wires were indicated with one looping over the other, that is now discouraged in favor of lines crossing with no dot. Placing a dot on connected crossing lines is perfectly acceptable as is having two connections slightly offset. A matrix of wires with connections, such as a bus, is far easier to read when drawn as a matrix with a dot placed at the connections.

In addition, the point of these methods of indicating connections is clarity, not eliminating dots. Even when connections are drawn as offset ‘T’ connections dots are still optional.

1 Like

This again is a personal attack; these are not my ideas.

These are my experiences, sames as yours.

I have provided, to the best of my ability, that my experiences are based upon factual information in the link I could find that did not violate my NDA.

Seriously Jim? That is far from a personal attack, he simply stated his experience is opposite to yours, however, unlike you, he did not try to promote his experience as being standard or conventional.

No, but you are the one promoting them here today as if they are something new, and a standard we all should not only adhere to but write ECAD software to enforce.

Reaffirmed 1973; little bit newer. This is what I could find to share without having to violate my NDA.

Some pages mentioned show the non-junction-dot as US drafting standard even prior to 1973.

I’ll admit that I can’t currently recall how a matrix was drawn without junction dots. I don’t think that sort of matrix was in any product I worked.

Some pages show non-wire lines too, what is your point? We are talking about dots used to indicate connections.

Yes, and probably reaffirmed many times since then, but that doesn’t make it any newer. :wink:

I’d also like to point out some text on the cover of that document,

PROPOSED USA STANDARD FOR CONNECTION DIAGRAMS

So as of 1973 at least, is was only proposed as “standard”.

Keep in mind these “standards” came about long before ECAD software was being used to draw schematics.

1 Like

I can still read all of it without question.

Maybe.

Maybe NOT.

I have experience to suggest otherwise.

Calm down everybody. There is no definitively right or wrong way.
Ideally KiCAD would support both options to suit end user requirements

1 Like

Personally I would never choose a non-explicit connection over an explicit one.
It would be kind of nice if crossing non connected wired would make the jump like in altium… but removing the dot would have never crossed my mind.

Imagine our rage if we need to work with that schematic and we end with several nets disconnected because the designer chose a style that none of us even heard of.

1 Like

Other people need bigger junction dots. Another standard. I prefer explicit dots for T and cross connections.

2 Likes

Yes, connectivity IS implied. But schematic diagrams are intended to communicate intentions to other PEOPLE, not to a set of perfectly-implemented algorithms in some machine or software program. Long before my eyeballs were fitted with trifocal glasses, my mind tended to imagine that power rail connected to the “A5” signal (Pin 1). In my mind, the (admittedly) redundant connection dot creates some kind of psychological barrier to imagining such a connection - and therefore increases the likelihood that the original designer will accurately communicate his intentions to me.

Dale

2 Likes