JST-XH-3A Connectors

Hello,

I have a question about the JST XH footprints. In the library and in footprint search engines I found several footprints for the standard “JST XH” plugs. They have the size 2.50mm in their name, eg Connector_JST:JST_XH_B3B-XH-A_1x03_P2.50mm_Vertical. The connectors I bought are called eg. JST 2.54mm XH-3A.

Question: is the 2.5mm compatible, although it is 2.54mm?

I hope, this question is not too stupid. I build some PCBs already, with standard 2.54 thru hole PINs (Connector_PinSocket_2.54mm:PinSocket_1x03_P2.54mm_Vertical), which worked. But I wanted to use the right footprint for the JST XH for a new PCB now.

Thank you for assistance,
Guido

I don’t believe there is such a thing as as 2.54 pitch jst-xh connector, they are all 2.50mm. Some vendors include explanations like this “The manufacturer has provided specifications for these connectors with a pin pitch of 2.54mm. Official JST XH series connectors use a 2.5mm pitch however for 4 or fewer pins either pitch will work interchangeably.” https://core-electronics.com.au/jst-connector-kit-2-54mm.html. In my experience you should only start having problems once there are more than about 6 pins in the connector.

1 Like

There are however, NON JST connectors that look very much like the JST but have a 2.54 mm pitch

1 Like

There are however, NON JST connectors that look very much like the JST but have a 2.54 mm pitch

Are you sure, did you measure? Don’t trust the description of cheap clones. I have a box bought online, unknown manufacturer, labeled “460 Pcs JST-XH Connector Kit”, where it states on the box “2.54mm Pitch”. I was suspicious, so I’ve measured and they are in fact 2.5 mm. I don’t know why they do this.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your explanation. Maybe it is really just because 2.54 sells better due to the breadboards. I will try it and if it is not working the easy solution would be to buy other plugs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are indeed 2.54. Also from a “Kit”

1 Like

OK, good to know that there are indeed 2.54 mm also.

Just know these no name connectors are not the same quality as any JST connector. If I had to make something that would live in a less than inside environment I would purchase the Real JST connectors.

3 Likes