Joining top and bottom copper

I am going through a tutorial and laying out a PCB. I am at the point where I am almost done but I have 2 traces that have to go half way around the board to reach their destination. What I wanted to do was place a via and then start at the bottom layer from the first pad and go to the via. Then on the top layer go from the via to the second pad. But I cannot get the trace to join at the via. Is this a bad practice to try to do? Am I just doing it wrong and just can’t find the correct way? I tried to search for a way of doing this but just kept getting answers for placing vias or joining copper at existing pads. I have attached a screenshot showing what I want to do. The 2 pads that are being joined are highlighted in blue and you can see the highlighted trace that KiCAD is drawing. The red dot is where I wanted to place the via to shorten and simplify the route.

Thanks.

There’s no need to do it that way; start a trace at the first pad, continue it until you reach the point where you want a via, press ‘v’ to create the via (and if necessary select the layer if you have inner layers), the continue the trace until it reaches the second pad.

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

That did the trick.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.