JLC component shift

Hi all,

I have a bit unusual problem with one DC barrel socket from JLC (their p/n: C720557)

The rotation (usual problem with some project manufactured by JLC) is correct, but the component is shifted like below:

image

I’ve previously had a shift issue with V-QFN package (shift by around 0.12mm in Y axis) and fixed it by moving the footprint anchor in the FP editor.

In this case moving the anchor changes the FP position on the PCB, so I have to re-position it again, but doesn’t change anything in the POS file and looks the same in the JLC online viewer.
Seems like to set the position correct it should be shifted by X=3.3mm and Y=1.7mm.

It’s my custom FP (CONN_DC-IN-TH_DC-005-A200, not with some random anchor position, as I was testing various part placement).
It’s based mainly on “BarrelJack_Kycon_KLDX-0202-xC_Horizontal” standard KiCAD footprint with small modification and originally setting the anchor position the same as in the FP downloaded from JLC / EasyEDA (DC-IN-TH_DC-005-A200). As mentioned above - at the moment my FP anchr may be random (I think I tried 3.3mm and 1.7mm, that didn’t work, so I tried the same by negative, ythen I think 3mm each axis, but also no shift.

See FP attachements below:
CONN_DC-IN-TH_DC-005-A200.kicad_mod (4.6 KB)
DC-IN-TH_DC-005-A200.kicad_mod (2.0 KB)

I lost the patience and moved it manually while placing the order, but seems like I will use this particular part more in a future, so the “proper” fix without a manual work each time I use it would be ideal.

I create gerbers, BOM and POS files using the JLCPCBTools plugin (from Bouni) if that helps. A few orders made since I discovered the existence of it and never had problems like that.
Also the Q-VFN package shift I mentioned above was fixed and prod files generated using the same plugin.

Do you have any suggestions?

If you have time you can create a simple PCB and upload gerbers, BOM and POS to JLC to see the placement. Then re-upload POS file to see if the position is updated.

Version info below (however I don’t think this is related to KiCAD itself):

Application: KiCad x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.9-7.0.9~ubuntu23.10.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.2
FreeType 2.13.1
HarfBuzz 8.0.1
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.2.1 OpenSSL/3.0.10 zlib/1.2.13 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.5.5 libidn2/2.3.4 libpsl/0.21.2 (+libidn2/2.3.3) libssh/0.10.5/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.55.1 librtmp/2.3 OpenLDAP/2.6.6

Platform: Ubuntu 23.10, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, xubuntu, x11

Build Info:
Date: Nov 8 2023 19:00:56
wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.74.0
OCC: 7.6.3
Curl: 8.2.1
ngspice: 40
Compiler: GCC 13.2.0 with C++ ABI 1018

Build settings:
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Are you using this GitHub - bennymeg/JLC-Plugin-for-KiCad: Fabrication Toolkit - An JLC PCB Plugin for KiCad plugin?

I committed some changes to fix the rotations at the past. We have to check if the connector footprint draw is in the correct standard, I have used “Connector_BarrelJack:BarrelJack_Horizontal” (pin 1 at the 00x00 mm position).

Hi,

As I said in the original post:
“I create gerbers, BOM and POS files using the JLCPCBTools plugin (from Bouni)”.

This is the link: GitHub - Bouni/kicad-jlcpcb-tools: Plugin to generate BOM + CPL files for JLCPCB, assigning LCSC part numbers directly from the plugin, query the JLCPCB parts database, lookup datasheets and much more.

I don’t think it a KiCAD or the plugin problem.
It’s not a rotation problem too.
It’s a shift, so should be related to the FP anchor. As explained above - it worked in a past, but can’t make it right with this particular part.

I eventually had some shift in the correct direction (one of the axis), but then came back to the original shift.

Funny enough the FP provided by JLC also shows the same shift.

I even suspect the browser cache to be in issue (part preview doesn’t work on Firefox on my Linux machine, so I test it with Chromium, will test tomorrow at work on Windows and Chrome), but haven’t proven it yet.

Still experimenting. Will report back if I find a solution.

EDIT:

Did a few tests with anchor position.

  • anchor set in bottom left corner of the FP
  • anchor set in the centre of pin1
  • anchor set various values outside the FP fab shape

That generate different POS file (which is the right KiCAD / plugin behaviour), but I always get this in the preview. Top left (J1) in my custom FP, bottom right (J2, but not clearly visible) is EasyEDA / JLC official FP).
Same shift on both and it doesn’t change

image

Will report it to JLC I guess. Not a KiCAD problem.