It's ALIVE ! IT'S ALIVE!

Stumbled upon a YouTube video where the publisher, a Marcos Chaparro, stated the video was generated from repository commits during the years of KiCad development.

The video was published a year ago and is titled ‘8 years of Kicad development’. He includes how the video was generated in his comment section under the video.

The video is both intriguing and mind-boggling to watch. Give it a peek:

1 Like

The video was generated using Gource.

The animation is really nice, especially the names of the devs, that appear and then vanish again… and their flashes of touching pieces of code and leaving something behind.
Really nice.

1 Like

Yes, it is nice.

I downloaded Gource and tried it on one of my projects. It works well. It appears to make an image from each commit and “pipes” the image through ffmpeg to create the videos. It has LOADS of options to set for it. Amazing concept.

Greg

I think it was nicely done.

I’d like it to show 9 years though…

Hi, Sprig.

You could do that at any time and for any time period if you’d like:

• Clone the KiCad repository.
  • Download and install both Gource and ffmpeg.
  • Look over the options for Gource to determine the settings and video effects you’d like to see.
  • Look over the options for ffmpeg to learn how to control its output.

Then, at a command-line/terminal, navigate to the root folder of the cloned repository and issue a command to start the generation of the video. At this point, I don’t see that a GUI is available for this, so it will have to be done at the command line. The command the uploader of the video used is:

gource -s 0.1 --hide filenames --highlight-users --title “Kicad development” -1920x1080 -o - | ffmpeg -y -r 60 -f image2pipe -vcodec ppm -i - -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -pix_fmt yuv420p -crf 1 -threads 0 -bf 0 gource.mp4

Look closely at the command above. Notice the “|” before ffmpeg. The output of gource is being “piped” into ffmpeg to create the video. The last item (gource.mp4) specifies the file name for the final video.

Greg

Oh… As a final note…
Once you play around with the settings to get the output the way you like it, you can save it as a Linux shell script or a Windows batch file to make things a little easier for you.
:wink:

There’s probably a high-level academic-type someplace who can look at various stages of the process and rate each change on the basis of how it made things either more structured or more random.

Dale

If you’ll notice, I think it graphically shows where entire sections of the folder structure have been moved/modified… At least that’s what I get from it.

Wow! That is so nice!
This let’s me explain to “normal” people what open source development is like :wink:

That is so pretty. As someone else commented I can use this to explain open source development to non-techies is an engaging way. Thank you.

Yeah, I’m the uploader of that one. I should set an alarm for the 10th aniversary, that could well go somewhere in kicad website.

1 Like