Issues with headerbars(GTK) on elementaryOS(Ubuntu based)

I get a weird issue when running any part of kicad. All windows create a duplicate “fake” window. They all get an exit, minimize, and maximize button so each window essentially duplicates itself. I have included a screenshot to illustrate the problem:

Again all parts of the software are affected by this. It starts as soon as the software opens and stays the same the whole time I use it. I mean it’s not really breaking the software but it isn’t helping usability.

So what could be causing this bug? I mean I don’t really experience any crashes and the software can work around this no problem? Could it be that my display size is too small? I am using an inexpensive ASUS Vivobook and performance wise its been fine but I just can’t figure out why it’s doing this?
Here are terminal logs when launching from the console.

*** BUG ***
In pixman_region32_init_rect: Invalid rectangle passed
Set a breakpoint on '_pixman_log_error' to debug

Any help in fixing this would be appreciated.
Other than the above message there isn’t anything else reported during run time from what I can tell.
Edit:
Here is the version info:

Application: kicad
Version: 5.1.2-f72e74a~84~ubuntu18.04.1, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.58.0 OpenSSL/1.1.0g zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.4 libpsl/0.19.1 (+libidn2/2.0.4) nghttp2/1.30.0 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 5.0.11-050011-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.22
    Boost: 1.65.1
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.58.0
    Compiler: GCC 7.3.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

The help button gives a version choice. That also lets you copy the info to clipboard. You might want to include that. Where did you get the files from? Last I knew the regular Ubuntu version was the outdated Debian version.

Or did you get it from here?

Thanks! I will include those logs and see if I see anything.
Also yes I got kicad from that link. Or rather the repository found in that link.

Same issue as reported in Double window frame on Linux Mint 19
tldr: it’s a wxgtk bug. Try different gtk themes.

1 Like

So like systemwide gtk theme?

Yes. If you find one that works let us know.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.