Issue with single track routing on a board with ~9.2k footprints, ~9.2k vias (SOLVED)

I cannot seem to get the GUI single track routing to work on a pcb board with ~9.2k footprints and ~9.2k vias.
pcbnew just freezes for a long time when trying to do this.

I used Kicad python scripting to create the footprints, place footprints, and place vias.
It is just 3 footprints copied and placed a thousand times.

The footprints only contain a drawing of a rhombus on the front copper layer F.Cu.

It works for a small number of footprints and small number of vias in the hundreds.

What process is the GUI single track routing going through? What are its steps?

Why does this happen with a large number of footprints?

Try changing your routing settings, if its trying to do push/shove or similar it may get stuck with that many components
router%20settings

Thanks.

Unfortunately, it did not work.

Edit:
Could it be an issue with the footprint?
I forgot to mention that there are 9k track segments added with the python script.

The developers would be interested to test that kind of board. Can you share the design?

Send us the file (in private, you can use my e-mail from the dev mailing list).

Tom

Tom, in case you didn’t know, you can send a private message to pab44 by clicking the user’s avatar and “Message”. Or pab44 can send one to you.

Thanks. I will send the file through email or private message.

I’ll take a SWAG at this and guess that you running a debug variant. If you post the full version information from your KiCad installation, we can tell for certain.

I’m running a release build. KiCad version 5.1.4 release.

Edit:
I am under an NDA to not share the original design. I’ve sent another design with the same problem.

I tried to see if this problem happens without including the footprints.

It did not! The issue does not happen if a large number of footprint modules are not added.

The interactive routing works for 9.0k tracks and 9.2k vias.

My problem is generally solved if I just add the footprints after doing the interactive routing.

Oh, GEM detectors :wink:

Each of your footprints contains hand drawn copper segments/circles for which the router has to generate an enormous amount of geometry data (a total of ~80 shapes per footprint). We’ll fix it in V6, but it requires some extra for for on the geometry library, so I can’t provide a quick fix. If you want to route with the footprints on, I’d remove these shapes or replace them with a single polygon.

Tom

Thank you, Tom.

That makes sense.
I look forward to version 6.

I’ll try replacing the shape with a single polygon.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.