Issue with internal board edge while exporting STEP in KiCad 8

If I export a STEP of a board with a round internal edge (Edge.Cuts) using the circle tool, the inner hole is not generated. The issue should be very easy to recreate. It looks ok in the 3D-viewer:

I have tested the STEP in FreeCad, Fusion 360 and STP Viewer.

A inner rectangular hole works fine, and a round hole using arcs also works fine, which is a workaround for me.

What is the procedure for reporting such issue, should I report it somewhere else?

Edit: This has been working in KiCad 7.

KiCad Version info:

Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: 8.0.0, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.4
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.3.0
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.5.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3

Platform: Windows 11 (bygge 22631), 64-bitarsutgåva, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Feb 23 2024 02:24:15
wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.83.0
OCC: 7.7.1
Curl: 8.5.0-DEV
ngspice: 42
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:

Yes, this is a bug.
It’s already reported on gitlab, but the issue opener set it “confidential”, so it’s not visible to all gitlab users. The “priority” was raised to “high”, so I guess it will be fixed in v8.0.1.

What is the procedure for reporting such issue, should I report it somewhere else?

Yes, if you are sure you have discovered a error then open a issue on the gitlab bugtracker. You will need a gitlab account for that.
My recommendation is to use the Kicad built-in function “Help–>Report Bug”. This creates a new gitlab issue, and prepopulates the “Kicad version” section with the needed information.
The remaining part is to fill the “Description” and “Reproduction steps” section. It’s also good if you can attach a example project (in your case for instance with a working rectangular and a non working round hole).
See also the FAQ-article: I found a bug. What now?

2 Likes

Thank you! I will report via Gitlab and “Help–>Report Bug” next time.

1 Like