Issue on "Find Layout Text" - Matching words seems not to be working fine

Looks like this “Words” checkbox does not work as I am expecting.

I was thinking it should match the “whole world” instead.

Can someone confirm this is not a bug?

Here, it should find no PA words, but it found PA_TX and PA_RX

Application: KiCad PCB Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.2-6a45011f42~172~ubuntu23.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.2
	FreeType 2.12.1
	HarfBuzz 6.0.0
	FontConfig 2.14.1
	libcurl/7.88.1 OpenSSL/3.0.8 zlib/1.2.13 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.5.4 libidn2/2.3.3 libpsl/0.21.2 (+libidn2/2.3.3) libssh/0.10.4/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.52.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Ubuntu 23.04, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu-xorg, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Apr 17 2023 07:57:57
	wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 7.88.1
	ngspice: 38
	Compiler: GCC 12.2.0 with C++ ABI 1017

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Your expectation is correct, a search for “PA” should not deliver “PA_RX” if “word” is checked.
Nevertheless I can’t reproduce the issue, on my 7.0.2-install the search works as expected.

If possible attach your project (maybe stripped down to only that nets+footprints) - so we can check if this depends on some project settings.

Edit:
some more research shows there really could be a hidden bug - sometimes the search doesn’t produce the desired result. But until now I have no reliable reproduction steps for the developers. On every new kicad-start (and than opening the example project) the search works correct again.
Maybe someone has more luck to build a reliable showcase?

I think it’s “seeing” the underscore (also dash) as white space so identifies PA_TX as PA TX and PA as a whole word.

I did a little testing . . .

1 Like

Yeah, it is definitely doing that. But is this the expected behavior? It is not what I expect tho.

This is the second time I seeing someone saying they are seeing a different thing.
The last one was the shortcut n to change the grid inside the Symbol Editor, which is not do anything for me.

Which OS are you using @mf_ibfeew ?

Which OS are you using

Win10. But I think it doesn’t depend on the system. My first problem with “reproduction not possible” was that it depends on the search phrase. I had used different random strings on a existing board which worked correct - so I wrote “not reproducible for me”.

This is the second time I seeing someone saying they are seeing a different thing.

It’s because your instructions are not as clear as you think. Your opening thread sounded like a general problem - it was not obvious that the problem only shows up with specific search strings. And thats always my reason to ask for a example - it makes the reproduction so much easier.

@RaptorUK: I think you are right, most probably the “_” (underscore) is treated as space and so separates the string “PA_RX” into “PA” and “RX”.

Added gitlab-issue: search tool (CTRL+F): option "complete words" delivers more results than expected (#14779) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab
Let’s see what the developers say - during writing I thought it could also be a designed feature - as the underscore in netnames is sometimes used as delimiter-character.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.