Issue on creating module with .dxf import Rev 4.05

Issue on creating module
You create à new module. Import a view .dxf on F.Silk for exemple. that’s OK
Then save your module and leave the editor.
Re-open the editor, all design .dxf import is a single point.
When you open the associated file *.kicad_mod all X,Y values export are 0 !!!
Can anyone confirm.

I am using:
Pcbnew ver 4.0.5 - stable release build
Platform: Windows 10 (build 1607), 64 bits

Any chance you can attach the dxf file here?
(go read some threads from top to bottom, should give you rights within a couple of hours)

PS: Just tested with a dxf file I had and it’s working (nightly from 21.1.2017)…

I think he can upload one file per post If i’m not mistaken.
@phicoeur: If not you could also upload it to any filesharing webside and provide the link here.

It seems that my problem is related to the latest W10 update. I did not have the problem in the beginning of the week.
i have not any problem with an other pc environnement, with w10 R1511 and Kicad 4.04 release

Here is a link to a dxf file for testing.

No problem here… reloading after saving and closing KiCAD:

That’s in a nightly build (which has got other problems) :slight_smile:

Application: kicad
Version: (2017-01-20 revision 550a1ea)-makepkg, release build
Libraries: wxWidgets 3.0.2
           libcurl/7.51.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2j zlib/1.2.8 libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.16.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
- Build Info -
wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.62.0
Curl: 7.51.0
KiCad - Compiler: GCC 6.3.0 with C++ ABI 1010
        Settings: USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
                  USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
                  KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
                  KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
                  KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
                  BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
                  KICAD_USE_SCH_IO_MANAGER=OFF
                  KICAD_USE_OCE=ON

Hello.
I have updating my config with the nightly build. I confirm there’s no problem. May be a bug on the 4.05 stable
Thanks.

Be aware that nightlies are bleeding edge and have even more problems.
And maybe even more important, files saved with them are usually not backward compatible with the stables, as the stables only get bugfixes, no feature updates/additions… collaboration not guaranteed.
Don’t use nigthlies for production.

Issue on creating module with .dxf import Rev 4.06. The same problem since 4.05. A solution?

If you still got the bug you should file a bugreport on the bugtracker and put as much detail into it as you can…

Still have the same issue with the attached .dxf file with 4.0.6

raspberry_pi_zero.dxf (171.2 KB)

Version: 4.0.6 release build
wxWidgets: Version 3.0.2 (debug,wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1010,GCC 6.3.0,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Boost version: 1.60.0
Curl version: libcurl/7.52.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2k zlib/1.2.11 libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.19.0 librtmp/2.3
         USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
         USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
         KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
         USE_FP_LIB_TABLE=HARD_CODED_ON
         BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON

I can not duplicate your problem. I’m running a nightly version from early February, on Win7/64 machine.

Version: (2017-02-10 revision 1bcbbb4)-makepkg, release build
Libraries: wxWidgets 3.0.2
libcurl/7.51.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2j zlib/1.2.8 libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.16.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

• Build Info -
    wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.62.0
    Curl: 7.51.0
    KiCad - Compiler: GCC 6.3.0 with C++ ABI 1010
    Settings: USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=OFF
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_SCH_IO_MANAGER=OFF
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON

To assist your troubleshooting I will attach the complete KiCAD Project Directory (including footprint library) I used to investigate this problem. Perhaps the files in it will help you determine whether the problem is with the footprint editor, or with PCBNew. (Since I created these files with a nightly build, they may or may not be compatible with your 4.0.6 version.)

Temp_Test.zip (16.1 KB)

Dale

1 Like

Thanks dchisholm. I can confirm that with nightly build from yesterday, it is working. I just didnt try the nightly build…

Well, there’s good reason to avoid the current nightly builds for serious work: they’re reported to be buggy, and may corrupt some files. The nightlies from the first 4 or 5 weeks of this year seem to be stable and well behaved. Perhaps you can use a nightly build to import the *.DXF file and create a footprint, but switch back to the fully-tested releases when you use that footprint for an important project.

Dale

I’m using 4.07 and I see this problem.
I’ve have created a dxf using librecad and imported it into the f.SilkS layer.
It appears ok in the footprint editor but I never see the image in the pcbnew layout.

When I examine the the kicad_mod I see a number of fp_line but the start and end points are all zero.
I’m guessing that the footprint editor has a problem.