Issue Migrating Hierarchical Schematic from KiCAD 5

We are having issues migrating a project with duplicated hierarchical schematic sheets into KiCAD 6. Our project has multiple copies of various hierarchical sheets in the schematic since we were using the replicate layout plugin on KiCAD 5. Opening the project in KiCAD 5 still works as expected, but when opening the top level project or individual schematics in KiCAD 6.0.9, all of our duplicated symbols disappear and we are left with only a single set of annotated symbols showing across all of the duplicated sheets. I’ve taken a look into the schematic files with a text editor, and it does look like the components are disappearing under the hood in the project files. I’ve attached some images of our components table in EEschema showing duplicated symbols disappearing. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Components table from KiCAD 5:

Components table from KiCAD 6 (see MMBT3906 for example of missing components):

Example of what our duplicated hierarchical sheets look like in KiCAD 5:

KiCAD 5 Version Info:

Application: KiCad
Version: (5.1.12)-1, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.5
    libcurl/7.77.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1k (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.5.0 libidn2/2.3.1 libpsl/0.21.1 (+libidn2/2.3.1) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.43.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.75.0
    OpenCASCADE Technology: 7.5.0
    Curl: 7.77.0
    Compiler: GCC 10.3.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
    KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

KiCAD 6.0.46.0.9 Version Info:

Application: KiCad (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.9), release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.1
	libcurl/7.83.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.12

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19044), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
	Date: Oct 29 2022 23:44:28
	wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers)
	Boost: 1.79.0
	OCC: 7.6.0
	Curl: 7.83.1-DEV
	ngspice: 37
	Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

If you tried migrating this project using KiCad 6.0.9 (your version info lists 6.0.4) and it still doesn’t work correctly, please file a bug report (KiCad->Help->Report a Bug) and attach the full version 5 project. We’ll get this corrected for you.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Seth! My bad, that’s a typo; it was indeed migrated with KiCAD 6.0.9.

Since this project belongs to the company I can’t post its full contents, but I’ll try replicating the issue with a clean example project and submit that with the bug report.

I was able to replicate the bug in a clean project, and have attached it to the newly created GitLab issue.

Thanks for taking a look at this!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.