Issue importing symbol libraries in KiCad 8

Hi all,

I’m attempting to import a variety of symbols into KiCad using the Symbols Editor. I created a library folder to place the new symbols in. When I attempt to import them by navigating to File > Import > Symbol and selecting the appropriate .lib file, the editor only imports the first symbol in the file. The issue is that the .lib file contains multiple symbols, and I can’t figure out how to import any except the first. Any suggestions as to what I’m messing up on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The Symbol Editor / File / Import / Symbol function does just as it says. It imports a single symbol.
If your symbols are already in a library, there is no need for importing at all. You can simply add the library to the library table in … / Preferences / Manage Symbol Libraries. It is fairly normal to make a project that is used only for maintenance of the libraries, and then add all other libraries to that project.

However, I only have this *.lib file from an earlier version, which I was still able to integrate into the symbol library in version 7. In version 8, unfortunately, this no longer seems to work because only *.sym suffix is accepted in the library management. I am now looking for a way to create a *.sym file from the *.lib file.

.lib files are not imported, just registered using Manage Symbol Libraries. After that you will be given the option of converting them to .kicad_sym libraries.

??? KiCad V8 uses the .kicad_sym extension for symbol libraries. And apart from it’s own current format, there is also full support for legacy files, and for several file formats from other EDA programs. (altium, eagle, easyeda and then some more).

I also can’t remember all the details of different library verions, combinations and interactions. Can you upload this library so we can have a look at what’s in it and how to get it to work?

Problem solved. The problem was as follows: I was previously working with version 7 and was still able to include a *.lib file in the symbol library management. Yesterday I installed version 8 and wanted to include this library, but in Windows Explorer I only got the possibility to select “.kicad_sym” files (sorry if I wrote *.sym before). I just migrated this library in version 7 (this *.lib file to “.kicad_sym) using the button at the bottom right in the library management and was now able to include it in version 8.

You should’ve been able to add .lib files to KiCad 8 by clicking this button:

Or, by adding a new row, changing “Library Format” to “Legacy” and clicking a button in the “Library Path” field.

Yes, that’s exactly how I tried it and still couldn’t include any other file extensions, nor were any shown in the explorer window, except for folders and “.kicad_sym” files. The thing that seemed strange to me was that after I migrated the *.lib file to a *.kicad_sym file and then opened version 8, this was possible. Previously I had tried several times without success.