Is there a way to have eeschema from V7 with pcbnew from V8?

I was really looking forward to V8 since december, but it kinda crushed my dreams. Specifically the bulk edit menu no longer allowing a full view to select the footprints, not to mention the other quirks introduced with V8.
So, is there any method to restore the old bulk edit fields menu. Like any workaround at all?

Is there a way to have eeschema from V7 with pcbnew from V8?

You could use eeschema(v7) + pcbnew (v8) in standalone mode and transfer the information with netlists between both programs like in ancient kicad v3/4 times. But I would not recommend that solution (and I’m also not sure if this works at all).

bulk edit menu no longer allowing a full view to select the footprints

First try to use the descriptions from the kicad program itself, this minimizes understanding errors.
I assume that with “bulk edit fields” you talk about the Edit symbol fields/Symbol fields table dialog.
What do you mean with “full view to select the footprints”?
Maybe attach a picture from v7 which shows what you are missing?

edit:
just seen that you already had opened a gitlab issue and were talking about the switch from “footprint library browser” to “footprint chooser” for general selecting and assigning footprints to symbols.

Like any workaround at all

You still can open the old “footprint library browser” from pcbnew–>View–>Footprint library browser. This is separate window and can stay open alongside all other kicad windows. So you can always switch to that window and search in that window.

1 Like

Sounds like the Footprint Browser that was replaced with the Footprint Chooser.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m refereing to issue #17416
I actually considered doing old netlist exports but it was really more hindering than just accepting the new situation

Edit: I didn’t see your edit (probably I replied before you edited your reply). Thank you for the suggestion. I will try doing it the way you described

The old window is not coming back. Please make feature requests for what you want to see in the new window.

1 Like

I thought it was a regression issue/bug as issue #17107 has the “regression” label.
Also some update re introduced a quick and dirty sort of fix to the 3d view being missing as in Mark Freitag’s reply to me on issue #17416

There are known regressions in functionality:

• Not being able to see 3D view (fixed already)
  • Not being able to use measure tool (not yet addressed)

They will be fixed by adding these functions to the new window, not by going back to the old window. The 3D view fix is not “quick and dirty” but the actual intended fix. If there is some problem with it, you can open a new bug report about it.

I apologise, it seemed like a temporary fix because the buttons are in a strange spot and not aligned to the space they are in

3 Likes

It would be fine to report that as an issue to improve, and also anything else that is missing from the new window.

1 Like

agreed. I wanted to report it as a bug that the 3D viewer is missing and then found other bug reports that pointed me to the existing buttons. Even if they are right there, I did not see them