Is snapping behavior of Footprint Editor changed for v6 branch?

Hi,

I was able to snap graphics beginning and end points to other drawing elements like lines while drawing another line but right now I can not use this feature with nightlies. The only thing helping me is the grid. If the line is off the grid then there is no chance to cross the lines while drawing. I need to edit or move it manually.

Is this an intended behavior?

Regards,

Maybe you changed the settings a long time ago, or V6 uses other defaults?

Have you checked:
Pcbnew / Preferences / Preferences / Pcbnew / Editing Options / Magnetic Points?

Oops, my fault…
There seems to be quite a big differences in the Editing Options in Pcbnew:

Compared to Editing Options in the Footprint Editor:

[Edit:]
After turning on “Magnetic pads” in the Footprint editor, lines still do not snap to pads for me, which seems a bug, but I’m not absolutely sure I interpret that function correctly at the moment.

My version info:

Application: Footprint Editor

Version: 5.99.0-unknown-09587ef4f~106~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.0.4
	libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.4.0-54-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, mate, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Nov 26 2020 10:18:52
	wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.71.0
	OCC: 7.3.0
	Curl: 7.68.0
	ngspice: 31
	Compiler: GCC 9.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
	KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

It’s the same here @paulvdh. Normally this was working just fine with 5.1 branch.

Edit Note: I’d create a bug report if a third person can approve the incorrect behavior.

Add thumb up here: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/4745

1 Like

I’ll add it but I guess there is misunderstanding about this issue. What you’d reported is a clear regression, not a feature request as it still exists on stable branch (at least partially). Right now it is perceived as a low priority wish on the issue tracker.

Edit Note: I guess I need to create a new bug report for this regression.

Did you read the last comment there which I just added?

Please don’t report another issue, it would be handled as a duplicate anyway. Wrong categorization isn’t a reason to report the same problem twice. But you can add your comment to the old issue.

I can confirm snap to graphics works in 5.1.8 and does not work in latest nightly 5.99

1 Like

@eelik, haven’t seen your last message, here and as I had a problem with mixing different issues here in the forum, before, I’ve created another bug report on the tracker. Let’s wait for the developers decide whether this is a duplicate or not. Because for me this is a different issue than yours.

@eelik added a comment on gitlab to his report that it’s the regression from 5.1.x

@fred4u is this the report you had commented?

Because I haven’t seen your comment in it.

I just gave thumbs up to eelik’s report, indicating that I also find it important.

OK, got it. I was expecting a comment and haven’t seen also in @eelik’s report.

Btw, I’d added my thumbs up, too.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.