Is it safe to use KiCad 6.0 rc1 nightly in production?(running macOS Mojave)


#1

Hello, I’m running KiCad 6.0 rc1 nightly on macOS Mojave(10.14.2).
Is it safe to use in developing PCBs? I chose this because every version (5.0.1, 5.0.2 testing version on kicad) before 6.0 rc1 nightly crashes in symbol editors.

Application: kicad
Version: (6.0.0-rc1-dev-1437-gc6527c8af), debug build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.54.0 LibreSSL/2.6.4 zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.24.1
Platform: Mac OS X (Darwin 18.2.0 x86_64), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (UTF-8,STL containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.54.0
Compiler: Clang 9.0.0 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=ON
USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON


#2

Probably, but don’t keep updating to latest Nightly or you will hit a bad one sooner or later.
Right now there is no real v6 RC, development is leading towards a 5.1.0 release.


#3

Then I should use windows version :frowning:
I’m not so sure why symbol editor crashes when I move footprint and place it to somewhere.
Could be Mojave’s compatibiility issue… (in 5.0.2 testing)
However It seems people have no prolems with 5.0.2 testing version.
Nobody posted bug traking in launchpad.

Anyone have experienced symbol editor crash when moving footprints?(5.0.2 testing, Mojave)


#4

KiCAD terms:

symbol image

footprint image

eeschema - where you design the circuit with symbols and wires

symbol editor - where you edit symbols

pcbnew - where you create a pcb layout with footprints and tracks

footprint editor - where you edit footprints

So what is exactly doing what when you do what please? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:


#5

Yup, I got crash in symbol editor.
Pressing m at pins, moved it, clicking it causes crash.


#6

One way to mitigate the jump to the next nightly version is to wait at least a few days and follow the comments on the Developers Mailing List and also check out the Bug Tracker for any new critical bugs.

But, as @davidsrsb already stated, it has happened that I hit a few bad ones even with these precautions.


#7

Okay then, I should get out of nightlies :slight_smile: Thank you for kindness all you guys.


#8

For me, I’m only confident to any particular version that I had go through the whole design process to be sure if it work for me. And I would stay with whatever that version was, until the next “full” design process with trial on both new version, and my “confident” version. When I got confident on the new version, then I will lock on to new one. So I don’t think it is a good idea to keep moving around with “unknown” versions for your “professional” work, it may put you into a bad spot that may cost your more than what you can take.


#9

If you are planning to share your files, it is best to stick to current release version. I believe that 5.1 should be file compatible with 5.0.x, but true pre V6 will break backwards compatibility