Is it possible to change the default power port library

Selecting the “place power port” icon will bring up the Kicad built in power library.
Is it possible to have this command point to a my own power port library or if I wish to use my own power port library I have to place my power ports like any other component?

Technically, it will list any library which contains power symbols. It’s just that the power library is the only one of the default libraries which happens to contain any power symbols.

So, if I had a library named experimental and it contained a power symbol named +42V, then I would get this when I click “place power port”:

The important thing is that your power symbols need to have the “Define as power symbol” box checked in the Properties dialog:

3 Likes

Thanks - so simply removing the power library from the list will show only my power components - wil give it a try tomorrow

I do not know if there is a problem in the Sept 19 nightly or a problem with my configuration, but when I try to insert a power port, instead of the list of power symbols as in ver. 4.07 I am just getting the list of all the libraries. I have confirmed that those symbols do not have the “Define as power symbol” property turned on. Are anybody else with the nightly seeing this?

Edit: I should add that the power library can be found among the defined search path, it appears further down the list, and is among the only one that will display the plus indicating content available. in the library. So it seems aware of presence of power symbols, it is just that it also displays the containers of libraries that do not have power symbols.

Can confirm that.
Keep in mind that the nightlies are switching from the old library format to the one, that is similar to how the footprint libs work… this might be a reason for this odd behavior.
Nonetheless, if you’re concerned, open a bug report on the tracker :wink:

Thanks for confirming. Being in a transition, there is probably no point of bothering developers with this. (I am familiar with the tracker and have submitted several bug reports before).

1 Like

As the bug persists after the introduction of the new system with the sym-lib-table, the bug has now been reported: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1736930

Application: kicad
Version: (2017-12-05 revision cdad02336)-makepkg, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.3
libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.11 libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.23.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.3 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.60.0
Curl: 7.54.1
Compiler: GCC 7.1.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

The bug has now already been fixed in the last unsigned Windows nightly. Thanks so much to the developers!

[Another bug was also fixed in this nightly #1737014, one can now get safe junctions right at the symbols.]

Application: kicad
Version: (2017-12-09 revision 48388695a)-makepkg, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.3
libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.11 libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.23.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.3 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.60.0
Curl: 7.54.1
Compiler: GCC 7.1.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON