Is donating still possible? What about perks?

After bad experience with SnapEDA, they offered me a refund for my new premium subscription. (too many bugs, plus low quality footprints)

That’s worth $99, and I’d like to donate that to KiCad. Is that still possible? I see that the donation campaign is not active anymore.

Also, a sugestion: As a perk for a donation, offer adding a custom symbol/footprint to the library.

1 Like

Donations are always possible through cern. (big button on the kicad website top right corner) The perk you get there is that you will be listed as a donor if you choose to allow them to publish your name. Fair warning: This site is quite slow to load. (At least it is for me. That is why i do not yet have a direct link for you)

There is also the contextual electronics shop where you can buy merch and support kicad that way. https://contextualelectronics.com/product-category/apparel/kicad/

1 Like

Thanks, that did the trick!

As for perks, symbols or footprints are much more appealing to me than merch, but I understand that creating those takes away time from developers.

The donation link seems to be broken… I get a blank page even with adblockers and such turned off.

Yes this seems to be the case. Lets see if it is up tomorrow if not we can notify the devs. (Temporary outages can happen even for servers hosted at cern.)

It seems that Cern updated and moved their donation links, and this is not reflected on the KiCad website (Yet).
When I follow donations from the main url of “cernandsocietyfoundation.cern” I find:
https://cernandsocietyfoundation.cern/donate
After filling in an amount and clicking on “next page” you can select “KiCad development” as your goal.

How about donating in the form of a symbol or footprint, @feklee?
I feel donating to Cern is an indirect way to support KiCAD. Cern is doing great things, I have no doubt about that, but they are doing so much more than just KiCAD.

I have never tried donating to Cern, so I am assuming the donations are to the benefit of Cern as a whole, rather than specifically for the KiCAD development team. That said, it is still a very useful donation.

Donating money to cern via the kicad donation page binds the money to use for kicad. Yes part of the money might be spend on webhosting and other administrative costs. But the vast majority is used to outsource code development. (At least this is my understanding of how it is used.)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.