Is Creating a Complete Composite-Component Possible?

I want to take several components (in the current case a linear regulator and two filter capacitors) and create a Composite (or Pseudo- or Meta-) Component. I’d hand-create the symbol but would like to just use the existing component footprints, traces, and (most importantly) 3-D models. There are several use cases, but the regulator is the easiest to describe.

It’s basically a subroutine or macro - in some sense. Hierarchical schematics hint at this but do not, as I understand them, support the physical aspects of a composite-component.

Is there any support for this? Or should I just do the grunt work and shut up?

I realize Layout isn’t a perfect match for “Layout”, but I didn’t a better one as this includes footprints and 3-D models as well.

[I did a search, but I’m terrible at it. If this has been covered, just give me a pointer/link and I’ll go away.]

Thanks,
MMM

If you also search under group components/parts you will find several similar threads. My own attempt is this: Making a multi-component footprint from a single one I did it to lock the relative positions of the components.

One avenue would be to make a hierarchical page and then reuse the schematics page with each project and use Save/Restore Layout plugin copy the footprint, tracks and 3D models data

Not having support and not shutting up aren’t logically incompatible :slight_smile:

!support & !shutting up => !(logically !compatible)

Er, my brain just exploded. :rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.