Invisible symbols in schematic put footprints on my pcb

Where_is_Q11_07_21_2021a.zip (25.9 KB)

I am working on a design and saw several footprints which are invisible on the schematic. So I have uploaded my folder with all of the good stuff removed and only the phantom symbols, listed in the .png image.

I think this is a bug??

After my original report I resorted to editing the schematic file with a text editor to remove the phantoms. I do not like doing this (risky with my lack of software skills) but I am thankful that KiCad is open source!!

Application: KiCad (64-bit)

Version: (5.99.0-11430-ge61b1f03b8), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.74.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19043), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Jul 14 2021 09:00:10
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,STL containers)
Boost: 1.75.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.74.0-DEV
ngspice: 34
Compiler: Visual C++ 1928 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

You may have symbols well outside the main schematic area. Press the Home key. If the schematic is small, look out to the corners for additional symbols.

Or Annotate and look at the BOM for unwanted items, then use Control-F to find the part. Delete it.

1 Like

Thanks Barry

“Been there and done that”. Or at least I tried to. When you do “find” in Eeschema, cursor warps off page to blank space; no symbol is visible. I tried “Greedy select” window; trying to grab a rectangle starting from lower right. That does not find anything even though I have included the cursor warp-to location in the greedy grab rectangle.

Deleting the symbol using “notepad” text editor does work but I do not think that the developers are satisfied that I needed to do that.

Something very odd - I had a look with a text editor - apart from anything else, all the wires are width 0 and colour ( 0 0 0 0) as well as quite a lot of the symbols having a stroke width of 0, too. Not sure how the schematic would end up like this?

1 Like

Thanks, John

I created the schematic from scratch before deleting all of the normal stuff to post it on the forum. (The complete original schematic is under NDA.) So far as I can remember, I placed those symbols in a completely normal manner.

I do not know enough about the software to place symbols in any very abnormal way.

But I was able to search the ref des using the text editor, and then delete the entire symbol entry from the text file.