Internally connected pins on hardware (pushbuttons)

I have the following problem: I have a bunch of small pushbuttons, the standard kind you would buy off the shelf with four legs of which two are inter-connected and a tiny travel of maybe 1mm (like the ones on this picture).

I have chosen SW_Push as my symbol for that and it offers 2 pins. The footprint I chose is called SW_PUSH_6mm and has four pins altogether but two of them are named “1” and two of them are named “2”.

Now the problem is that in reality it is enough to connect either of the “1” and either of the “2” pins because they are connected internally anyway. But pcbnew really wants me to connect the two "1"s and the "2"s together.

How would you guys solve this best? Thanks for all suggestions!!

Custom symbol and footprint. Both of them need the pins numbered 1 to 4.
Connect only the pins in the schematic you want also to be connected on the pcb.

Why are the symbols and footprints made this way? Well it’s complicated. Probably the first one was made this way and all other followed. It has the advantage that we only need 1 symbol to represent all possible switch footprints.

Yeah, custom symbol and custom footprint was my only solution too. I thought there might be something easier than that because if the layout now forces me to change over one track from one side to the other I have to change it back in the schematics as well which is stupid. Thanks.

Why not just connect these internally connected pins on one inner (unused) layer.

I believe KiCad should have nothing against it,but not sure as I am not using KiCad yet.