Interactive Html Bom Plugin for KiCad

V2.3 is released.

New in this version:

• Settings export/import
  • Image export. You can save rendered pcb image with or without background up to ridiculous 16000x16000 resolution. Enjoy 100mb png files.
  • Chamfered pads support
  • Bezier curve support
  • Rotated parts now have better fitting rotated bounding box in component highlights
  • lzstring compression of pcbdata. BOM html files will be smaller.
  • Bom mode toggle. You can switch between grouped, ungrouped and netlist views.
  • Add tracks and zones support. If tracks/zones option is enabled during bom generation you will be able to turn their rendering on and off in html page.
  • Add netlist support. If netlist option is enabled during bom generation then clicking on pads or tracks will highlights the net. Additionally can switch bom table into netlist mode and have overview of all nets. Highlights by hovering and filtering works just like with components.
8 Likes

Hi Mr. qu1ck,
thanks for your great plugin.
I want to ask if it is possible to compare two variants of boards in one html file.
Thank you.
Jara

Hi and welcome to the forum.
My plugin is not designed to do comparisons. You may want to look at https://github.com/Gasman2014/KiCad-Diff

2 Likes

Hi,
I have an issue with Silkscreen zones (Graphic Polygons). They are rendered correctly but not at the right position.
Thank you!
David

Can you share your pcb? Or something that reproduces the issue because I don’t see it happening with my files.

2 Likes

The problem seems to happen only when I move or duplicate the polygon.

Thanks, I can reproduce now. This is a bug in KiCad, I’ll either fix this upstream or add a workaround in plugin soon.
BTW if you close pcbnew and reopen then the bom will generate correctly so you can do that until the fix is available.

3 Likes

Sound similar to what we discovered with eagle import https://github.com/openscopeproject/InteractiveHtmlBom/issues/99

@qu1ck
would it possible to add a checkbox to enable/disable Courtyard layer?

@Rene_Poschl, yes that bug is most shares the underlying cause. To get a bit technical, the issue is that when moving a polygon on the board KiCad API reflects the movement both in offset (start) position and in vertex coordinates themselves so the delta is doubled. When you reload pcbnew the offset is 0 again so API returns correct values.

@maui yes it’s possible, I can file a bug for it. Can you share a use case? When is having courtyard in bom more beneficial than fab layer?

1 Like

Courtyard layer is useful to check if your footprints may interfere each other… I know I can do it in kicad, but I found that your tool is very clear in displaying the board with components.
This would add an option for a quick check and a fast overview to rearrange models too near each others, even if not in direct violation.

KiCad’s check is much more precise than any visual check you can do by just glancing at the board, after all it actually checks for geometry intersections which my plugin can’t do.
I’m not sure using ibom for this is right. For visual check you can get the same clear overview in pcbnew by turning off all irrelevant layers.

1 Like

As I said, your plugin offers a very clear overview of the top and bottom layout without the need to turning off all the irrelevant layers in kicad.
Moreover this wouldn’t be to check interference, already available in kicad, but just to rearrange models too near each others, even if not in direct violation.

Allowing to display the courtyard layer in iBOM would be a plus IMO.
Thank anyway for this nice tool.

@qu1ck Any chance that the “Extra Fields” tab can become “Fields” so that the (now) fixed fields “Reference, Value, Footprint, Quality” may be set to hidden as well? Ideally, I would love to be able to configure the visibility and position (left to right) of any column/field.

When placing components, I have the iBOM.html file on my iPad mini and like to use as much real estate for columns I need at that time which (for me) is just reference and my house part number.

As others have said, thanks for such a wonderful tool and your dedication to continue to support it!

For configuring order of columns there is a feature request https://github.com/openscopeproject/InteractiveHtmlBom/issues/123

In terms of hiding fixed columns isn’t it better to do it at “runtime” i.e. in html instead of at generation time? This way you will not have to regenerate bom every time you want to show/hide a column.

Doing at runtime is better indeed, i was just thinking to piggy back on a facility you already have. Doing it runtime; you can then virtually elliminate the “extra fields” i.e., these would be hidden at runtime also.

Runtime that one can save/retrieve the combination of hidden and displayed columns.

1 Like

You can now customize all the things!

Change the colors, styling, add company logo, even custom functionality if you are handy with javascript.

Of course you could do all of that before by editing existing ibom code but your changes would likely break with each plugin update. Now you have more or less stable “interface”.

6 Likes

@qu1ck give me some excellent tips to personalize the header here.

Hello, don’t know if this might be any use to anyone but I have patched the plugin to add a new event that fires whenever the BOM body is (re-)written.

add-bom-body-populated-event.patch (786 Bytes)

I have done this as it allows me to watch from that event in my user.js, in my case so that I can linkify datasheet URLs.

And in case anyone is interested, here is the user.js that I used this with:

// Linkify URLs

function linkify () {
  const urlrx = /^\s*((https?:\/\/|mailto:|tel:|xmpp:|geo:)[^\s]+)/i;

for (const row of document.getElementsByTagName("tr")) {
    if (!/^bomrow/.test(row.id)) {
      continue;
    }

for (const col of row.getElementsByTagName("td")) {
      col.childNodes.forEach(node => {
        if (node.nodeType == 3/*text node*/) {
          const rxMatch = node.nodeValue.match(urlrx);
          if (rxMatch) {
            const url = rxMatch[1];
            const href = document.createElement("a");
            href.href = url;
//             href.target="_blank"; // If wanting to open links in a new tab by default
            href.appendChild(node);
            col.appendChild(href);
          }
        }
      });
    }
  }
};

EventHandler.registerCallback(IBOM_EVENT_TYPES.BOM_BODY_POPULATED_EVENT, linkify);

The URL matching regex is a bit crap but does the job for me.