Interactive drag segfaults - Debian Linux

I’ve been away all summer working in the wilds of Alaska and so not working on electronics projects. On getting home, I did a software update and started seeing Kicad acting differently than I remembered. Eventually I found the control to turn interactive drag back on and as soon as I try dragging a track, pcbnew segfaults. In fact, all of kicad exits. I’m not seeing it mentioned anywhere on the forum but is this a known problem? Is there a fix coming?

Here’s the version information:

Application: kicad
Version: 4.0.4+dfsg1-stable release build
wxWidgets: Version 3.0.2 (debug,wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1010,GCC 6.2.0,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Platform: Linux 4.2.0-1-amd64 x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Boost version: 1.61.0
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
USE_FP_LIB_TABLE=HARD_CODED_ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=OFF

Hi,

Any chance you could share the board that causes the problem?

Best,
Tom

Sure. I’ve only tried two of my boards so far but they both fail in the same way. I tar’d up one of the projects and put it here: pdp10.froghouse.org/ki-248.tar.gz

Just turn on interactive drag and try to grab a trace. Instant segfault, at least for me.

Hi David,

Sorry, can’t get it to crash here (I’m running a recent development snapshot). Could you check if the crash still happens on the latest nightly? If it does, a stack trace would be very helpful.

T.

I’m using the pre-built Debian package so it may turn out that I’m
really reporting a problem with that package. I’ll try out building
from sources and get back to you.

I didn’t find the nightly sources but I did find the stable 4.0.4 tar file. Once I turned off BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN (no idea what dependency I need to install to make that work) it built but it segfaults simply trying to run pcbnew or eeschema so I never get to the interactive dragging.

I do get a message on startup about a program/library mismatch with C++ ABI of 1009 or 1010. It seems unlikely that such would cause this problem but I suppose it’s not impossible. It doesn’t say which library has the problem but web searches suggest that this might have something to do with wxWidgets. I’ve been unable to track down any more detailed information than that.

Did you ever resolve this? I’m seeing the same thing on Arch Linux:

Version: 4.0.4-stable release build
wxWidgets: Version 3.0.2 (debug,wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1010,GCC 6.2.1,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Platform: Linux 4.8.8-2-ARCH x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Boost version: 1.61.0
         USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
         KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
         KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
         KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
         BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON

If I clone an old repo and route a net and then attempt to drag the trace for interactive routing it segfaults and everything exits.

Interactive routing settings:

Nope, no fix. I posted a bug report in the Debian bug reporting system as it appeared to be likely to be a package problem or maybe a library mismatch. One person there reported duplicating the problem but nothing else, no resolution or even a response from the maintainer.

I just tested on a brand new Kicad 4.0.4 in Ubuntu 16.10 VM. Same problem with 4.0.4+dfsg1-stable ppa release.

Can you link to your bug report?

Is it just that nobody uses this amazing feature?

Update again, the latest 4.0 branch build fixes it for me with github feature disabled (I think it breaks the build, can’t remember).

Working build:

Version: (2016-11-14 revision 8023c7a)-makepkg debug build
wxWidgets: Version 3.0.2 (debug,wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1010,GCC 6.2.1,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Platform: Linux 4.8.8-2-ARCH x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Boost version: 1.54.0
         USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
         KICAD_SCRIPTING=OFF
         KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=OFF
         KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=OFF
         BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=OFF

And my Arch PKGBUILD for anyone looking to re-create:

Sorry to take so long to get back. Here’s the link to the bug report I posted to the Debian bug system:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=841539

2 Likes

I received a notice that my Debian bug report was being closed as it was fixed now. I’m finally home and able to update my system and give this a try and I concur that the bug has now been fixed in the current release for Testing Debian Linux. That is, KiCad version 4.0.7+dfsg1-1. Just in the off chance that anyone was following this and was waiting for a resolution.