Installing on Ubuntu ARM system

I have another stupid question. I tried to install the Linux version on an arm system running Ubuntu and it wont install. It acts like there isnt an arm version available.

Was the Linux version you tried to install built for Arm or for x86-64 ?

Can you post the error and Ubuntu os-release and uname info.

cat /etc/os-release
uname -a

It was for ARM, under WSL2 a surface pro X. Ive ran the release version before on it. It ran ok once I figured out the trick to enable hardware acceleration under WSL. I actually did have a problem getting the release version to install.

“sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kicad/kicad-7.0-releases”
followed by:
“sudo apt-get update”
followed by:
“sudo apt-get install kicad”
returned:

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libocct-visualization-7.6 : Depends: occt-misc (= 7.6.3+dfsg1-7) but 1:7.6.3+dfsg1-8~ubuntu23.10.1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

This was easily fixed by running:
“sudo apt-get install occt-misc=7.6.3+dfsg1-7”
then:
“sudo apt-get install kicad”

I have Ubuntu 23.10 installed.

“uname -a” returns:

Linux ARACHNE 5.15.133.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2 #1 SMP Thu Oct 5 21:02:47 UTC 2023 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/LINUX

For the nightly I run:

sudo apt-get install kicad-nightly
it responds:

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
Package kicad-nightly is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, or as been obsoleted, or is only available from another source…

E: Package ‘kicad-nightly’ has no installation candidate.

There is no KiCad builds on arm64 Ubuntu at the moment. Originally it was due to QA of spice simulation failing and nobody having a proper development setup to troubleshoot a Linux arm64 specific problem (no such failure occured on Windows + macOS arm64)

Why are you trying to use kicad in WSL instead of KiCad directly on Windows proper?

We have arm64 Windows builds for v8.

We do have it turned on for 23.10 in the latest testing builds, you can try this: PPA for KiCad: 7.0 Testing Builds : “KiCad” team

I have the windows version installed and it works quite well. I wanted to see how graphics acceleration worked under wsl and compare the two. I was also thinking I could install it on a raspery pi 5. Although I wasn’t able to install 8.0 I was able to get the release version installed and the graphics acceleration is pretty good.