Installing KiCAD Nightly and Stable concurrent from PPA possible?[solved]

hello community :wink:

has anybody a current clue if it is planed or already possible to install both kicad versions -
nightly and the stable 5
on ubuntu from the ppas?
reading the official download site i think it is not possible -
as currently you have to switch between the two ppas to switch from nightly to stable…
as otherwise there is no option to specify if sudo apt install kicad should install the stable or the nightly package.

or iam wrong at this?? :wink:

i would love to have installed both to be able to experiment with the newest things and do my main work in the stable release -
as fare as i know the configuration is possible to split now…

sunny greetings
stefan

I don’t know how to have both concurrently but here’s how to switch from one to another: https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-website/issues/308

thanks for the reply and the link @Gabriel_Staples

i already found this hint at https://launchpad.net/~js-reynaud/+archive/ubuntu/kicad-5
:wink:

i think the ‘nightly’ ppa would need to change the name of the package and the program to be able to install both at the same time :see_no_evil:
or at least this is the way FreeCAD handles this and also mozilla firefox nightly (its only called ‘nightly browser’)
this would mean more work for the packager…
hopefully one day this is done :wink: :wink:

sunny greetings
stefan

1 Like

FWIW, I followed the instructions to install release 5.0 on the Ubuntu install page without removing the nightly build ppa. I ended up installing the 20180726… version instead.

After a bit of messing about, I did remove the nightly build ppa and then had to install the release version of Kicad 5.0 using:
sudo apt install kicad=5.0.0-stable-2018071910034+fee4fd1~65~ubuntu16.04.1
which I got when I did:
sudo apt-cache showpkg kicad

Hi,

Installation instruction were updated end of last week. Now it’s possible to have both version…

1 Like

Hi jean-Samuel @jsreynaud , not or now?

Fixed on my comment. Of course now…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.